Bug for 3.1 firmwares on AR750 - no GUI

Hello I just do debrick on AR750 like it says to do here: Debrick via Uboot - GL.iNet Docs

It looks very good and I go to 192.168.8.1 and I enter password and then I must log in and I enter same password but nothing changes.

I can go 192.168.8.1/cgi-bin/luci and I have luci but there is no web interface.

I use this firmwares and I check md5sum is a96d7a399782a9f7e5cf1ad4d861cd3a

https://dl.gl-inet.com/firmware/ar750/testing/

I have very much similar problems on anothers 3.1 for MT-300A.

I know 3.1 is testing so I want to give this report about the bug.

Also I have this problem with javascript:getObject(‘firmware/ar750/testing/gl-ar750-mesh-0912.bin’)

@alzhao I only want know you will read this but is not emergency. Thank you always for your helping always.

This also true on “default” firmwares but GUI exists on “default” firmwares that say “lede” in the name.

So I think there is something not true on this page maybe: GL.iNet download center

It is saying that “Default Release” and “Pre-release” have GUI because it have different column that say “OpenWrt Only” and that has specific meaning that other ones are not OpenWrt Only but have GUI.

Really really it could be so important to have explanations for different firmwares.

Basically what is important to know is will in future there exist firmwares with 3.1 (this means have Tor), and GUI?

I am not sure what is the problem you met.

To make sure, I got a new AR750 router, flashed the same firmware 3.100 and I have no problem.

Which old firmware did you upgrade from?

Can you clear all settings and try again?

@alzhao

I am not sure what is the problem you met.

The problem I was met is that GL GUI does not exist. Luci yes, GL no.

It looks very good and I go to 192.168.8.1 and I enter password and then I must log in and I enter same password but nothing changes.

I can go 192.168.8.1/cgi-bin/luci and I have luci but there is no web interface.

Which old firmware did you upgrade from?

I do not remember now. Probably v1 or maybe Tor. Both ones are possibles.

Can you clear all settings and try again?

Yes, but please explain the exact steps you want I will take because then I can know we do exact same steps.

Just hold the reset button for 10 seconds and wait the router reset.

You know the web UI has to be there because this is a basic step we need to verify a new firmware. Cannot make stupid mistakes.

If problem still exists, we can do a remote session via teamviewer.

@alzhao

Just hold the reset button for 10 seconds and wait the router reset.

No I do not have web UI, only Luci.

You know the web UI has to be there because this is a basic step we need to verify a new firmware.

What does this mean? Luci UI is there but no GL UI.

we can do a remote session via teamviewer.

Thank you but never would I do this.

I think best next step is to ask again for you to please tell me what files I should find on the directory tree, probably under /www? I will find them manually.

@alzhao

Exact steps I did now.

• uboot refresh to v1 firmwares, create password

• update to openwrt-ar750-3.100-1218.bin

• verify firmwares in web screen are a96d7a399782a9f7e5cf1ad4d861cd3a

• Reboot and see login screen. Enter password.

• Nothings happening. Do not leave login screen.

• Manually go to http://192.168.8.1

• Am redirection to http://192.168.8.1/#/

• Screen totally blank, white, nothings there.

• Manually go to http://192.168.8.1/cgi-bin/luci

• See Luci

So have same problems I have before. No GUI for 3.1 firmwares.

This maybe important that no is /www/html directory, but is /www/index.html and other things under /www

Really I am wanting you to say what is exact files for GL GUI I should find in filesystem.

rough night hugh? well if you did everything you say you did. which is install all these different images, tor mesh, 2.x 3.x then obviosly something has gone wrong. but thats okay, thats what uboot was designedfor so. lets just say there is a 3.1x bug (not that were sure there is) if you go back to a firmware like 3.027 to flash first. now remember flash with uboot web interace. you did not explain that above and make sure you select correct bin/img type for uboot. that should get you up and running cause nobody else has had any uboot flashing issues and it still may be a browser cache problem.

What is the system and browser you are using?

@rp201rp Yes I explain this above. Please see my first statement:

uboot refresh to v1 firmwares, create password

I do uboot many times.

@alzhao

What is the system and browser you are using?

Linux / Firefox. Please don’t ask to not use Linux, this is not possible. (Anyway I am sure you are in agreement that this is best.)

Also, please why can you not tell me what files to find on filesystem? This is correct step to take next. You say web interface files must exist, I say we can not get to this in browser, so next we should look on this filesystem for the files. Why do you not tell me this please?

@rp201rp

it still may be a browser cache problem

No I already say can not possibly be cache problem because for long time I use fresh boot OS, and now every time I delete completely .mozilla directory. I am a experienced person with knowledge of browser cache problems, Linux systems.

This is the html and api files

This is the libraries

@alzhao

Good! Okay I can say /www look similar, also /usr/lib/gl so problems is not obvious.

For me /www/index.html is for LuCI. Have sha256sum start with 21a2f8. What is names of files for GL UI specifically? Maybe if I find them I can manually redirect browser to do testing.

@alzhao I try upload default firmwares for AR750 (2.?) and GL UI exist no problems. So is not really so possible that this is problem with how I am using web browser. Anythings is possible, and I am experienced but maybe I do somethings stupid, but at this moment everythings look like problem with firmwares.

I think next is locate manually GL UI files and try to manually direct browser. But if you have a suggestion I can do I will do also.

Firmware v2.0 is very different from v3.0 in web architecture.

I have a question: Did you ever ever have any 3.x firmware running with UI? If not then this is the problem:

You should not access 192.168.8.1/index.html. It will redirect you to luci which does not exist. The correct index file is not index.html

So you need to clear your browser cache or use private window and access 192.168.8.1, not 192.168.8.1/index.html

@alzhao

No I never have 3.0 working with UI.

So you need to clear your browser cache or use private window and access 192.168.8.1, not 192.168.8.1/index.html

I already did this, you can see my messages.

But now because you finally tell me the file I should look for the problem is very obvious.

You are using very new CSS that is not supported by all browsers, and it is good to use new technologies but always when designing websites it is good to have “graceful degrade” feature for older browsers.

So it is not a bug, just bad design. :slight_smile:

Thank you. If I create new HTML for you to use is that a good thing and will you really use it? I might have time only if you will use it.

@alzhao I want to say I did not think this could be true because

• Old GL UI works

• I never have any website breaking because of this ever

But I do not mean to criticize too bad. You are excellent router firmware builder. Maybe not world leader web designer but I have much respect for you and GL routers. I know some HTML and CSS and if you want help I will give you help with making UI backward-compatible.