Bypass VPN blocks on different sites (including ChatGPT)

I am running a VPN on an DigitalOcean Droplet using Wireguard (PIVPN, in particular). However, when I visit ChatGPT (or other websites, such as banking websites) I get blocked.

What can I do to get around these blocks? If this is not the right place, where should I ask for support?

Thanks in advance.

Gio

You can try different VPS providers as your VPN servers. Some providers are blocked and others are not with ChatGPT. My Oracle VPS is blocked, but I have another VPS from a small provider that works fine with it.

Another option is to setup a VPN server at residential address.

Thanks Eric.

Which small provider would you suggest? I found a couple in London but they charge ÂŁ100+ a month.

At a residential address, I should rely on friends and family but then if it goes down, it’s gonna be too much trouble. I would rather pay a service (small as well).

Since you do not need much compute power to run a VPN, take a look at https://lowendbox.com/ as they list VPS providers all over the world. Some for as cheap as $1/month.

My GL iNet AR300m has been running at a family members house for 18 months, without them needing to do anything to it. I do have it automatically reboot daily, just in case there is a memory leak. It has been rock stable running a 3.x version of GL iNet firmware, modified by me to support multiple VPN protocols.

When I am working with banks, financial institutions, and government agencies, I prefer to have a residential IP address in the state I live in. For speed for streaming things, and just generally needing a US IP address, I use a couple different cloud providers, as they all have better Internet speeds then at my family members house.

1 Like

Could you kindly describe this setup in more detail?

You’ve perhaps left a GL iNet AR300m at a family members house that is running say an OpenVPN server? You probably need some Dynamic DNS service to attempt to connect to the device.

Isn’t there often still a problem connecting to the router behind a residential modem? Around this point people throw around terms like “hairpin routing”.

My previous Wireguard VPN setup was very simple using port forwarding and the built in Wireguard server on a GL iNet Microuter-N300. DDNS was done on my main router, and my main router did the port forwarding to the N300. Everything worked, and it was very stable, but was limited to only 1 Wireguard server port, and required port forwarding on my home router.

My current setup is very complex, and is one reason I am using an AR300M with 128MB of flash, so everything fits. It does not require port forwarding, so my family does not need to do anything. It runs both Softether, which supports multiple VPN protocols and has its own method of working around NAT, and I have manually setup multiple Wireguard server processes on the AR300M, which provide both my public Wireguard service, and private links to cloud systems that redirect specific ports to this router, so my family does not need to touch their router or my router when making changes to their service.

Recently they changed providers from Comcast to Verizon home 5G, and all they had to do is unplug the Ethernet port from the AR300M to their old router and plug it into the new router, power cycle the AR300M, and it just worked!. My setup is not something I would recommend to others, as setting up Softether on a GL iNet router is a real pain, and setting up multiple Wireguard links is a bit complex, but it works for me.

The reason for not using only Wireguard is some of the places I stay at have blocked UDP traffic, and Softether can use either TCP or UDP depending on the client protocol. Also, at a few sites, they now detect Wireguard VPN traffic and block me. I think it is by the smaller MTU size. Softether emulates Ethernet, and uses full size Ethernet packets, and using it as my VPN server/client, I can access these sites from around the world. It is nice having VPN choices to work-around some of the problems I have run into while traveling the world.

1 Like

I will look into some cloud based solution as I can’t use any family or friends house.

Hopefully, someone has experience with some UK small server provider.