Can I use a travel router (in particular , Beryl) to get around my school wifi network's no VPN allowed policy?

Hello,

At my school , the school’s free wifi cripples the use of all VPN via its wifi network.

Meaning if I use the school’s free wifi to access internet on my laptop , I will not be able to use my paid VPN’s client on my laptop.

I have to use the school’s wifi . Kind of feeling naked , without using my paid VPN.

Can I use this Beryl travel router to get around this problem?

i.e.

With Beryl connected to my school wifie , can I then use the VPN client on my laptop , which is connected to this Beryl router , which makes use of my school wifi?

Please advise.

Thanks a million.

The Beryl is just another computer, it is not magic. If you have root or admin privileges on your laptop and cannot get around the school’s VPN blocking, then the Beryl probably will not help. If your PC is locked down by the school, then the Beryl might be able to help, as you will have admin/root privileges on it that MAY let you get around their VPN blocking.

Now I will ask the adult question: Is it worth getting suspended for going around the schools policy? I don’t know about your specific school, but most schools do not take kindly to bypassing their security.

Thank you very much for answering.

I am not quite sure what you meant by the quote above.

Are you saying if I did not have admin privileges to my own laptop due to the school’s wifi network policy, then the Beryl might be able to help me bypass this and get me admin privileges on my own laptop?

Do you mean that your school blocks vpn protocol?

It is better to find out how they did that and then find a solution.

Probably.

They block all the VPNs I have access to on my laptop.

I just cannot run any VPN client on my laptop while my laptop uses the school wifi.

There was a free Kaspersky VPN that was not blocked initially but after a couple of days I found it blocked as well.

How would I go about finding out how they block VPN access?

I cannot possibly talk to tech department and get an answer.

Please advise.

Thank you very much.

There are several ways to block vpn: block IP of servers, blocking ports and blocking protocol.

If only IP of server is blocked, you can change to other vpn services

If ports (generally 1194) is blocked, you can change to other ports, e.g. 443. Most vpn service providers provide 443 port

If your school block opnevpn, then need to try other protocols, e.g. wireguard. If wireguard is not usable, you may need to try http proxies. Some vpn service provider provide proxies, but this is not supported on the router.

If still have problems, try v2ray, shadoesocks etc which are very hard to detect.

1 Like

TCP on port 443 is the least likely to be blocked because it is indistinguishable from ordinary internet traffic.

A travel router is a fairly conspicuous thing though. If you can’t connect from your laptop the router isn’t going to help.

2 Likes