Cannot get pia vpn working on mt300n v2

keep getting this error message when trying to install pia openvpn on my mt300n router

OpenVpn is not started
Last log WARNING: ‘link-mtu’ is used inconsistently, local=‘link-mtu 1558’, remote=‘link-mtu 1542’ WARNING: ‘cipher’ is used inconsistently, local=‘cipher AES-128-CBC’, remote=‘cipher BF-CBC’ [64e392b389aa8ea3df9ce2ad15a6f44c] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]104.238.169.91:1198 AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED SIGTERM[soft,auth-failure] received, process exiting

Why did you post the same problem twice? Back off a little and wait for some help to come along.

I tried to repost it without all the icons and such

Are these the files you tried?:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip

Yes, I have tried all the different variations of them too

I must be doing something wrong if people have it working.

just doing my head in at the minute

Try a clean firmware install and then follow this guide, then report back!

https://www.gl-inet.com/docs/openwrt/openvpn/

done the clean install and follwed the guide,

still doing exactly the same, the same error message as before.

im at my wits end with these routers

Have you double checked your login credentials (ie. does the user/pass work using the PIA client)? Your username/password are not the same as your PIA forum ones!

Also, have you tried more than one server?

pia works fine for me on mango v2

If I recall you have to put the two cert files *.crt and *.pem in a zip file w/ your .ovpn and upload it to mango

In past experience on different router, I found IP based ovpn files more reliable. Doesn’t look related to your issue, but maybe worth a try.

In the log it says the cipher setting is different. I checked the ovpn files and the cipher is aes-128-cbc

While the log says that the server is BF-CBC. Seems PIA changed cipher. Generally the server support different settings and it should work. But I am not sure this is the reason as it is only warning. You need to check your credentials as well.

Password and such been checked. It’s working in pc and on android and iPhone no problem.

as the above post the cert files are already in the zip with ovpn.

but if you have it working could you send me your working ovpn file from your router to try

take text between the snips and save

might need a blank line at bottom

— snip —

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote 162.216.46.86 1198
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
cipher aes-128-cbc
auth sha1
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass
comp-lzo
verb 1
reneg-sec 0
crl-verify crl.rsa.2048.pem
ca ca.rsa.2048.crt
disable-occ

— snip —

Hi

just want to say a big thankyou to everyone on this thread, I have got the pia vpn working on both routers.

1 more question, now there running, if I plug the router into the back of my isp router and then Ethernet to my mag box, will the vpn work or will I need to connect to pc and start it again?

So…what was the exact problem? Kindly share for others.

Regarding your question, if the VPN is started on the GL router (only need to do it once from the GUI by clicking enable), then anything connected will run throught the VPN.

No idea what the problem was, I had bricked one router after update, so I booted that one into unit and updated it.

then that one took the openvpn and pia and worked straight away.

so I just did the same with the second, installed firmware using uboot, then added vpn the usual way, and it worked.

not sure what was causing the actual problem, but that worked so in now happy

router just went off and now it will not connect again, saying the following
<table style=“border: 0px; min-width: 400px; border-spacing: 5px; margin-left: 20px; color: #ffffff; font-family: arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif, ‘Microsoft YaHei’, 微软雅黑, ‘Heiti SC’, 宋体, STXihei, serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: #295873; height: 163px;” width=“1037”>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td>OpenVpn is</td>
<td>not started</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style=“white-space: pre-wrap;”>Last log</td>
<td>WARNING: ‘link-mtu’ is used inconsistently, local=‘link-mtu 1558’, remote=‘link-mtu 1542’ WARNING: ‘cipher’ is used inconsistently, local=‘cipher AES-128-CBC’, remote=‘cipher BF-CBC’ [75a25737510cffe2ad1a7b352ffad256] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]104.238.169.60:1198 AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED SIGTERM[soft,auth-failure] received, process exiting</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style=“color: yellow;” colspan=“2”>Please setup custom DNS to prevent DNS leaks

</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>