Captive Portal, VPN Speed on Slate

Interested that as well. Im going to use captive portals during the next weekend and after. I would like to prepare that everything should work… :slight_smile:

Are portal-test things already on gl-ar750s-3.012-0111.img? or should I just flash portal-test and take other firmwares to laptop if need to flash them during the travel?

You need to flash the portal-test firmware and put the 3.012 firmware in your pc, in case you need to flash back.

1 Like

Would it not be possible (and more sensible) to have these firmwares integrated with something like a “reboot into Portal mode” and “reboot into Standard mode” checkboxes in the GUI?

Actually we will put the portal mode as an option in repeater settings. This just need a little more time to verify the portal detection functions.

OK, please let me know if a new build becomes available.

Dear Alzhao,

Please let me know when it is available in stable - I tried the portal test release on a few captive portals with my 750S but it didn’t work for me ;(

Pseudonoise

Just a tip for those with captive portal issues (on any firmware…). I’ve had many frustrating attempts to connect to a hotel’s captive portal only to realize my VPN client was on and trying to connect. It’s almost embarrassing how many times this has happened…

So, first thing is to switch off your VPN client so it’s not blocking you from accessing the captive portal. Once you are connected to the internet, turn it on. This may briefly expose you to a non-secure connection but I’ve not found a way around that…

It doesn’t work for me every time as well.

Seems you need to give more time to it before it can detect the portal and change firewall rules.

That’s perfect - I noticed this in the latest 750S testing build.

Just flashed the latest testing firmware with the portal option in repeater settings I was careful not to keep settings during the flash. I tried a captive WiFi point (O2 WiFi in the UK) and whilst I could connect to the O2 WiFi nothing happened on the association mobile phone when monitoring 192.168.8.1 or when trying to open a web page.

What should have happened ? Have I done something wrong ?

There is nothing can do but to wait for further firmware update.

When I look at the “Network Mode” page there are 4 options…
Router
Access Point
Extender
WDS

So which of these are you saying I need to change for “Repeater Settings”. Trying to access through a Hampton (Hilton property) captive portal - ie Login Page from the browser… Tried to clone the phone MAC address, DNS rebinding OFF, In default “Router Mode” Thanks Dan

@alzhao @kyson-lok What is the status of support for connecting to captive portal from Slate? I’ve upgraded to 3.025 but no longer have the Repeater Option for captive portal. Has this feature been integrated without UI, or has this feature been dropped? I no longer see the old portal test build in the testing dir of your firmware download site.

Since I primarily use this router for travel, this feature is key for me.

Did the portal detection worked good for you?

As we are still testing this feature so it is not in release. But we still put it in beta and will release ASAP.

It worked sometimes, but some of these times I could not even connect to the Wifi without the router.

I do not see a captive portal build available and I did not save the old tarball. Do you have a recent fork?

When I saw Captive Portal as a feature, I upgraded right away, but then realized it was for creating, not connecting to, a captive portal.

So do not confuse. There are two features:

1. Captive portal: means create a port using the router itself. This one has a UI to set up.
  2. Portal Detection: means detecting if there is a captive portal when connecting to another wifi network. There is just a switch to turn on/off this feature.

Can you point me to a build I can use with captive portal detection? I do not see any available build for download with this feature.

Hi,

You can download the test firmware with portal detection here.
After updating the firmware, you need to enable portal detect in LUCI->Network->Portal detect

Thanks for that link. I have updated and turned it on. Should I expect an option in the Repeater pane of this page http://192.168.8.1/#/internet or is portal detect always on as long as that option is enabled in Luci?

Bump… waiting for this aswell for my travel slate…