Change bssid

Is it possible to change the bssid on the slate? A guide please?

So for BSSID - you’re asking if you can change the MAC address of the AP side?

• BSS – Basic Service Set – An AP, along with all client STAs associated with it.

• BSSID – Basic Service Set Identifier – This is the unique MAC address of a particular AP within the BSS.

1 Like

Yeah BSSID OF the AP.

1 Like

You can change it is luci, if not you can change it in uci directly.

First question I would have to ask is - Why? What’s the purpose here?

I can think of many nefarious reasons as to why one would consider doing this.

Anyways - as @alzhao mentions - it can be done in LUCI/UCI…

@alzhao This is only for adhoc or sta mode. But ap mode is most common. Do you know a good method for this?

In AP mode you can also change the BSSID as star or adhoc mode. It is the same way.

@alzhao

In AP mode you can also change the BSSID as star or adhoc mode. It is the same way.

Please tell me what way? The link you gave does not work, and this link is saying it will onlying be working in sta or adhoc mode.

But this method is working for AR750, but MT300n-v2 it is not working. Does something different exist about MT300n-v2?

You are right. You cannot change MT300N-V2’s AP bssid in that way.

@alzhao. Thank you I will return this item and buy some different router. Please tell me what is different with mt300nv2 to make it like this?

It uses MTK’s own wifi driver which works different from opensource one.

@alzhao

It uses MTK’s own wifi driver which works different from opensource one.

Okay yes. Because I use OpenWRT now (v 19) on mt300nv2 and BSSID can change. But now is not necessary because I already did change script that was set for old BSSID/MAC

One thing I was thinking. You have option to change MAC. But if BSSID can not change then really MAC is leaked. For most people this is not really a problem. For me this is not really a problem. But it is not explained in the GUI for people who really need this.

Example, I have a script that only accepts some MAC addresses. Really it looks at BSSID. So I was not able to connect. Maybe someone else will have this problem and they will say “but I did change MAC!” Very confusing.

But for me OpenWRT normal is a very good solution so I am happy now with mt300nv2

where in luci can it be done, @alzhao ?

It is better to open a new thread and describe your request.