Change outgoing TTL

Your iphone WILL NOT work as I have said numerous times.

Sounds a bit like toll-fraud to me, and a quick way to get booted from your wireless plan - wearing my ex-telco hat…

The carrier can detect this kind of behavior.

Do so at one’s own risk…

1 Like

Depending on how much they inspect the packets your right. However it is not fraud to use the data you pay for.

I would expect though that if the plan were there could be a lawsuit for termination.

FWIW - everything in carrier space goes thru DPI - mostly for Spam and Abuse. The guy that ran the Sandvine platform - used to share with me the blocked sites list, and there, it’s the deepest, darkest hole one never wants to look into…

Anyways - from a carrier perspective, terminating a line of service based on abuse of the terms/conditions of the contract is entirely within their realm, and the contract backs that up.

Phone fraud is the use of telecommunications products or services with the intention of illegally acquiring money from, or failing to pay, a telecommunication company or its customers.

Your paid for service means this does not apply

from a carrier perspective, terminating a line of service based on abuse of the terms/conditions of the contract is entirely within their realm, and the contract backs that up.

“We are terminating your device due to abuse”
What abuse?
“You are tethering”
So? I paid for the data. I give money for data.

Smells like lawsuit to me. Telecos have been sued and lost due to all sorts of shady practices.

Unfair contacts are not enforceable.

You can try bypassing the DPI with some tools like these:

Good luck…

It’s like the Cops vs. Criminals - Criminals see it from their perspective, the Cops have seen it across many Criminals… that’s why Criminals always get caught, no matter how clever they are.

You paid for Data on x-terms - if you want tethering, they have a plan that allows for it.

In other words - Data according to the terms/conditions of the contract you signed to get service.

Not that I’m in favor of that policy, just what it is…

I’m an engineer, not a lawyer.

1 Like

Inserting the line in the rules allowed my Verizon iphone8 to go from 600kbps to 8mbps. However, untethered I get 30 to 70 mbps. I tried using a Visible ZTE R2 and it didn’t work.

Verizon uses deep packet inspection and looks at more than just TTL so that may be all the speed you can get. Still very usable.

Some things you can try:
-change your browser user agent on the client side (the computer you are using) to an iphone user agent. It makes your browser look like a different browser.

-Utilize a vpn. The encrypted tunnel should bypass the deep packet inspection.

You can also try the following programs that try to bypass DPI:

swardfish-ii, where do I turn on the VPN - the iphone, the router or the PC? I’m using PIA. Are there any other settings I need to be aware of?

since most hotspots are 192.168.43.1

can someone help us out with a little function that goes phonenetically to autosense if connected to a tethering hotspot.

Hotspot_trick(
if wlan-sta = 192.168.43.
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING 1 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
else
)

Hotspot_trick

this checks to see if you have a default gateway of 192.168.43.1
if so that mangling occurs. lemme know if this isn’t the best way by using the default gw. just place in /etc/firewall.user at the very bottom
thanks

checkif_hotspot43(){
#get default gateway ip
dhot=$(/sbin/ip route | awk ‘/default/ { print $3 }’)
# check if it is equal to
if [[ “$dhot” = “192.168.43.1” ]]
then
# profit
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING 1 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
fi
}
#comment the below line to disable
checkif_hotspot43

I also have V20 (H918), but I can’t find any kernel supports POSTROUTING ttl change. Can you share what ROM or kernel you’re using to make it work? I’m currently on Lineage OS (Unofficial) 16.0

The AOSP kernel and the kali nethunter kernel both support mangle and iptables. I cobbled together a rom with the nethunter kernel (you don’t need the rest of the stuff in the full install) and some stuff to keep the secondscreen working.

I simply run a script then turn on my phone hotspot for an all in one solution.

There is one error I discovered that I didn’t bother to fix, after turning off the hotspot mangle breaks VOIP (aka phone calls come in but when answered I can’t hear them and they can’t hear me.) It requires a full on/off to get calls back to normal, not just a restart.

It wasn’t worth it for me to investigate further.

Which would you recommend?

First off, you are the man!! A great community contributor.
Looking for a bit of help.
I used the firewall settings on a MT300N,
When I ping 8.8.8.8 I get a TTL =65
But my speeds are still throttled.
I am using Visible (over VZN) on their moto e6 phone, native hotspot. Latency around 100ms.
Computer >wifi> Wifi extender >cable> Load Balancing router >cable> MT300N >wifi> Moto e6 phone. (I have been testing on isolated 300N and using full network)
The phone gets 15 - 30 Mbps depending on the day, Im limited to around 5Mbps.
Tried over VPN (CyberVPN), no prize.
Should I look into rooting the phone? I dont believe they will let other devices on their network, I checked unlocked vzn phones and factory unlocked phones. Always get told its not compatible, I pretty sure they lock down access to the bank of IMEI they control.
I am also thinking of changing my Mofi router IMEI to my phones so that maybe I could mask my identity and jump on with it, because it has better networking power, signal, less latency.

Welcome for all feedback, also looking into trying the packet inspection tools posted earlier.
Thanks

from where? the router, the phone, a client off the router?
is it from tethering or are you creating a wifi hotspot?
what plan do you have with big red?

This is what i get from both connecting to 300M and to my main wifi.
For some reason all the packet traffic returns with this ttl on all hops when testing.