Choosing two VPN routers (server/host and client)

Hi all,

I would like to create a VPN between two houses, one I have in Spain and my other home in London. I’ve read that I can use a couple of routers with WireGuard, using one as a server and the other as a client. Unfortunately, I don’t have any idea about what GL.iNet model to choose.

Please could someone from GL.iNet recommend me a specific model for this? What are the best models in terms of VPN WireGuard performance/speed?

Many thanks,

You might start with the upload/download speeds in Spain and London, and whether either or both has a public IP address.

many thanks elorimer for your answer.

The information I have from my providers is: in Spain, the fibre is “symmetric” 300Mbps upload and 300Mbps download and in London is 1130Mbps average download speed and 52Mbps average upload speed. If needed, maybe I can upgrade the Spanish speed to 1Gb (upload and download).

The host or server will be in Spain and the client in London.

And I believe both has a public IP address.

I am so jealous of your speeds. In my case upload speeds are less than what a lot of models are capable of.

Because both have a public IP address, it doesn’t matter whether the client is in Spain or London, and the server the other. The weakest link is the London upload speed, so data moving from London to Spain will always be limited to that, and data moving the other way will be limited to to 300mbps.

Wireguard is faster than OpenVPN, and it is multithreaded so it can take advantage of routers with more than one core. If you want the most throughput, you will be looking for a pair of routers with the fastest CPU with the most cores. Your options expand if throughput is not as critical and budget is. The product pages usually have wireguard throughput speeds listed.

Mango 3.212 snapshot; Beryl 3.212 snapshot; Not affiliated with GL-iNet–just a user

Thanks @elorimer but could you recommend me any specific model? is a good option the new Slate AX (GL-AXT1800)? or better Flint (GL-AX1800)? I believe both have similar specs in terms of CPU and Wireguard performance.

Hi @soso75, I am not an expert on this matter, but what I recently configured based on experts’ suggestion is the following: one Flint router as Wireguard server (home) and one Beryl as Wireguard client (when traveling or working abroad). So far, it’s working great!
In regards to the Slate AX you mention, I’m not sure whether is already available…anyone knows?

The GL-AXT1800 Slate AX is still in Beta testing right now.

The Slate AX is a travel router and is smaller with 2 LAN ports and 2 antennas. The Flint is a home router that is full-sized with 4 LAN ports and 4 antennas. Besides VPN speed, there are other features and differences that may affect your choice for each home location.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

It is usually not necessary to have two of the same routers. Gig service usually requires a fairly capable router, so you may already have one router in the London site that can do Wireguard (or openvpn). The Spain router might be fairly capable too. You might only need one new router and can spend $$ on something like an ax router.

many thanks, @oscargp @wcs2228 @elorimer for your answers. I believe I go ahead with two Flint (GL-AX1800). I will share my experience with them and with their configuration.

1 Like

Sounds good. Here in the states I use a flint for Wireguard server and a mudi so I’m mobile and have access to local television stations. My brother uses a brume for his home in Dallas to connect to my house for locals as well.

1 Like