Collie GL-X300B - more application space

Hi there,

I bought the Collie as a replacement for the hard to get RUT955 to get internet connectivity in my RV. I was counting on being able to install the tailscale openwrt package on it. It seems though that this is not possible due to the size of 3 MB. Is there any way at all to make this happen? I am considering to send the device back due to this.

Is there any other device that offers the same global frequency coverage as the Collie (US, South America & EMEA) in addition to GPS?

One unrelated question: Can the Collie be driven with 12 volt through the front input?

So far I really like the device and its capabilities, however the limited package space might be a deal breaker for me.

Best,
Kaj

EDIT: The new Spitz - while looking amazing might be out of my price range.

EDIT2: It seems that the openwrt image would be a lot smaller (7MBs) but does not contain all neccessary packages for 4G connectivity. Is this right?

Collie has a 16MB Nor Flash, after system occupied most of space, this is little space for customer using. We are sorry for that.

Besides Collie , only Spitz AX supports GPS.

Collie can use the 12V DC from the car.

Hi Tim-Zhang,

thank you for your response. I really appreciate your support!

I read in another discussion that there is a Collie with 128 MB NAND RAM. At least it shows in the Github Infra Builder repository: gl-infra-builder/target_ath79_gl-x300b-nor-nand.yml at main · gl-inet/gl-infra-builder · GitHub

Does this version exist and can it be bought?

Best,
Kaj

128MB Nand is special for a 2B customer, and we didn’t maintain this branch any longer, not suitable for end user. We are sorry for that.

Hi Tim-Zhang,

thank you for the continued support. I guess the router from that usecase can’t be bought from your 2B customer? Maybe I need to switch to Wireguard instead then.

One last follow up: Are there experiences with MiniPCIE M2-B-Key cards from Sierra Wireless like the EM7455 or the EM7565 in the Collie? They are supported by OpenWRT and offer the same global coverage as the Quectel EC25-G that is build in. They do offer hight download / upload rates though.

Best,
Kaj

Integrating a new Cellular module need a significant developing work, we didn’t integrate Sierra module, it can’t work on the Collie.