Company or USA government restrictions for VPN Tunnel

I want to open a discussion topic. Let’s say we set up a VPN tunnel structure with Glinet routers. If a resident of the United States continues to work for an American company from abroad, this is not considered a company policy, and secondly, there seem to be restrictions on taxation. Are there any of you who work remotely from America in this situation?

1. What is the worst possible punishment for you if the company somehow catches you?

2. Is there a ban on this by the state in the USA, by institutions such as the IRS, tax, financial, and security?

There is no broad answer. Every company has their own rules on where you are permitted to work, sometimes governed solo by the top boss, other times governed by the nature of the business, their clients, or on advice from their lawyers.

Some companies add software/hardware to company issued systems that prevents you from simply using an external VPN router to hide your location. If you are planning on doing this, you really should find out the exact consequences before leaving the country.

One question to ask yourself: Are better at hiding your location than your IT department is at finding you.

Not sure why you posted the questions 3 times, but its not normally necessary to clutter up the lists.

1 Like

It also depends upon which country you decide to reside in from where you are going to work remotely. A LOT of countries require a visa and prohibit working remotely. And if you decide to reside in the EU/ Schengen zone, you are only allowed ti be there for a maximum of 90 days before you have to depart (for another 90 days) unless you have a residency visa. And almost all of those residency visa prohibit work, even working remotely, and almost all of them require you to pay in one tax to that country. It’s very complicated.

It depends how long you work from abroad. There are lots and lots of people who “work” while on vacation, attending meetings, at conferences, etc. for days to weeks and use their cellphones, smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc. They may receive/make phone calls, read/write emails, develop/troubleshoot/fix bugs in code, etc. In these cases, nobody really cares to make a fuss.

If your primary activity is to work for an extended period (>1 month?) from abroad, then that may raise legal issues with the destination country, your U.S. company and U.S. residency status. However, I am not a lawyer, nor legal epert.

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

1 Like