Configure wireguard client to connect to NordVPN servers?

Same experience here.
I got the VPNUnlimited lifetime subscription for less then NordVPN’s 3 year subscription and been using the WireGuard protocol for a few days now and so far so good.

2 Likes

Does VPN unlimited support netflix streaming? What regions that available?

1 Like

yes, it does.
i am using these streaming services successfully :
Hulu
Disney+
Netflix
Amazon Video
Youtube TV

1 Like

for netflix, which netflix regions that you get?
Yesterday I tried the trial but the speed that I got was too low here

1 Like

i am connected to netflix / hulu / disney+ / amazon all with their USA services
I am averaging about 35Mb/s on my AR750s connected to their California servers using wireguard

2 Likes

Hi. My 2-cents infos.
I had a quick chat with NordVPN technicians.
I asked them WireGuard’s configurations and they confirmed (as AnonyOne and others said) that they are no longer offering this service. They told me to continue using OpenVPN with GL.inet router or use their apps/SW on supported systems with allow to switch to the new and fastest NordLynx protocol, derived from WireGuard but not compatible with it.
I asked why … They explaneid the ‘privacy-related reasons’ behind their choice; their view is explained in the following article: https://nordvpn.com/blog/nordlynx-protocol-wireguard/
My point of view is that IF their concerns about WireGuard privacy ‘issues’ are true (I’m not so expert to fully understand and validate the cited article … this is why I say IF), THEN I accept their choice and answer. My needs in terms of speed are not so high; when I use their service with GL.inet router I can accept a slower speed in exchange for more privacy. Moreover through their service (configured on GL.inet router) I can access all streaming and other services around the world I’m interested in.
Closing the chat I asked them to evaluate the possibility to develop a NordLynx client for OpenWrt and made the configuration files available in the same way they provide the OpenVPN ones. They recorded the request without any promise …
Cheers

PS: no money to try other VPN services providing WireGuard access and configurations before my three years subscription expires. Moreover, MY experience with NordVPN service was always optimal, so I wait more news and … better times

2 Likes

If they modify Wireguard they may need to open source.

The Nord modification nordlynx can allow IP address dynamically. This make the management in the server side greatly.

Will this improve privacy? Maybe not. The server can always know which IP address the user uses, whatever it is dynamical or static.

1 Like

Yeah as Alfie wrote any changes NordVPN make to Wireguard need to be made public. You can ask them for a link to the source code changes they made.

Also, im not so sure its a privacy issue. Wireguard requires fixed IP addresses set for each client in the config file, IP’s internally used to identify each connected client INTERNALLY. This is not public in any way. OpenVPN also requires IP’s, but they are not statically set in the config files, they are dynamically issued on each connection, that is the main difference here. So i guess they are worried that if the Feds raid their server farm, all the config files will show all the connections to users, but that is just a poor implementation server side. If you raid an OpenVPN server farm, all the connections are still in memory until the server is shut down, they would be able to link connections in that way too. Having a server kill switch where it shuts down all processes (for OpenVPN) and an extra wipe of all configs (for Wireguard) would be better for them.

BTW you can check threads about NordVPN. They had a massive privacy leak and did not disclose about it until the hack was made public on Twitter, don’t trust them for anything.

2 Likes

Thanx alzhao and Johnex for your comments.
I’m not so technical to be able to have a clear picture of the implementation details of the different VPN solutions. But I understand the general meaning of what you explained.
For Johnex: thanks for your warning about NordVPN, which I use mainly to access restricted streaming services around the world, such as UK-BBC, US-TV and other public broadcasters which impose restrictions on te countries where you’re connectiong from. For my needs it’s perfect, but I understand it’s not ok when one needs strict privacy. Do you know better VPN services when privacy is the main purpose?
Cheers

1 Like

Here is a list of VPN’s and more info about the 14 eyes:

I personally use Mulvad and VPN.ac, and i know AzireVPN is also great.

1 Like

Thank you very much Johnex for all your valuable information

1 Like

The real issue with using Wireguard as a VPN is as stated earlier:

Wireguard was designed as a Point-to-Point VPN, not the traditional RoadWarrior or one server, many client configurations which are the traditional model for commercial services.

Trying to blend the P-to-P model of Wireguard with a many client-to-one server model is why NordVPN only support their own application as a connection.

Cheers.

2 Likes

There must be a way around it though. VPN Unlimited are able to offer configs for wireguard. Sure VPN Unlimited is not as big as NordVPN but they are not small either. If they could do it, then Nord definitely can do it.

1 Like

Greetings community. I just registered an account a few minutes ago to be part of this topic!

Recently i talked with NordVPN chat support and also send email to their support about “Wireguard Configuration file” , for connecting Wireguard protocol manually without NordVPN app and with it’s Wireguard client.

And they said their technicians already working on it to make it possible to using WireGuard protocol servers manually; and this option will be available in near future. btw I’ve send 'em another emails related this issue and their support said i will nudge technicians to speed up the process and release it as soon as possible!

3 Likes

nothing happened after 1 month.

the world becomes UNSTABLE, unstable in the society.

A secure line may help.

Hi there,

I’m not a gl-inet user. But I know it can run Openwrt. I’ve written a script to connect to Nordvpn wireguard servers. If anyone is interested pm me for details.

Can you share just here pls?

Hi ! Can you share the script , cant send you PM

Nope. I dropped nord and went to torguard.

It’s very simple. All you need is your interface private key. If you have any linux machine, use that or jnstall a vm if you don’t have one. Get their official linux app installed. Install wireguard too. Connect to nordvpn with command:

nordvpn c

After successful connection run

ifconfig nordlynx

write down its IP address somewhere, you’ll need it later.

sudo wg show nordlynx private-key

Output of this command should be something like this:

CKMAE9LARlt2eZHgGnNaSUYiKLLkJN7f3hed/bWm5E8=

This is your private key. Write it down. The key above is just a random key for demo purposes.

Now make sure you have curl and jq installed on your router… These are needed to be able to fetch the config of NordVPN Server. If not installed, go ahead and install

opkg install curl jq

After installation enter the command below to fetch the recommended server config:

curl -s "https://api.nordvpn.com/v1/servers/recommendations?&filters\[servers_technologies\]\[identifier\]=wireguard_udp&limit=1"|jq -r '.[]|.hostname, .station, (.locations|.[]|.country|.city.name), (.locations|.[]|.country|.name), (.technologies|.[].metadata|.[].value), .load'

Output:

uk1818.nordvpn.com #your endpoint host
178.239.166.185 #its ip address
London #city
United Kingdom #country
K53l2wOIHU3262sX5N/5kAvCvt4r55lNui30EbvaDlE= #Server public key
10 #Server load at the time.

Now you can use the data above to configure your OpenWRT WireGuard Interface.

3 Likes