Configure wireguard client to connect to NordVPN servers?

hi,
has anyone managed to configure a wireguard client on a GL-iNet device to connect to NordVPN (a premium VPN service provider)?
would love to borrow on your experience with this

2 Likes

Sorry not yet successful.

1 Like

I read online that you would need to send an email to NordVPN to ask for the WireGuard profiles.
There were supposed to be profiles for New York and another location.
I did that yesterday and got a mail back from NordVPN that they donā€™t provide these WireGuard/Nordlynx profiles now. No ETA available when they will become available.

2 Likes

For your reference

1 Like

I have just finished a quick chat with their tech support and they are no longer offering this service - supposedly was offered earlier to ā€œa few testersā€ but currently the donā€™t add anyone new and there is no ETA on when/if this service will be offered by them :-/

I will move over to KeepSolidā€™s VPN Unlimited unless anyone here feels strongly about other good VPN providers that support WireGuard LOL

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve asked them about providing configurations (outside of their closed source app) to allow connectivity and also to provide (even with their app) the ability to specify some of the options allowed by wg-quick, both to allow users to configure VPNs for their own unique configurations.

In all cases itā€™s been, yes weā€™ll look at providing this (maybe) but no promises or ETA.

Cheers.

1 Like

honestly - i was somewhat disappointed by their indifferent response, especially in light of the fact that in recent months their service no longer works properly with Hulu and Netflix.

in my frustration I am now testing WireGuard over VPN Unlimited and am VERY pleasantly surprised.
not only the configuration with my AR750 / AR750s was amazingly quick and simple, but almost any streaming service (EU and US) that I could come up with works flawlessly.
Iā€™d hate to lose my prepaid 3 years with NordVPN but as it stands I am better off with the VPN Unlimited.

3 Likes

Same experience here.
I got the VPNUnlimited lifetime subscription for less then NordVPNā€™s 3 year subscription and been using the WireGuard protocol for a few days now and so far so good.

2 Likes

Does VPN unlimited support netflix streaming? What regions that available?

1 Like

yes, it does.
i am using these streaming services successfully :
Hulu
Disney+
Netflix
Amazon Video
Youtube TV

1 Like

for netflix, which netflix regions that you get?
Yesterday I tried the trial but the speed that I got was too low here

1 Like

i am connected to netflix / hulu / disney+ / amazon all with their USA services
I am averaging about 35Mb/s on my AR750s connected to their California servers using wireguard

2 Likes

Hi. My 2-cents infos.
I had a quick chat with NordVPN technicians.
I asked them WireGuardā€™s configurations and they confirmed (as AnonyOne and others said) that they are no longer offering this service. They told me to continue using OpenVPN with GL.inet router or use their apps/SW on supported systems with allow to switch to the new and fastest NordLynx protocol, derived from WireGuard but not compatible with it.
I asked why ā€¦ They explaneid the ā€˜privacy-related reasonsā€™ behind their choice; their view is explained in the following article: https://nordvpn.com/blog/nordlynx-protocol-wireguard/
My point of view is that IF their concerns about WireGuard privacy ā€˜issuesā€™ are true (Iā€™m not so expert to fully understand and validate the cited article ā€¦ this is why I say IF), THEN I accept their choice and answer. My needs in terms of speed are not so high; when I use their service with GL.inet router I can accept a slower speed in exchange for more privacy. Moreover through their service (configured on GL.inet router) I can access all streaming and other services around the world Iā€™m interested in.
Closing the chat I asked them to evaluate the possibility to develop a NordLynx client for OpenWrt and made the configuration files available in the same way they provide the OpenVPN ones. They recorded the request without any promise ā€¦
Cheers

PS: no money to try other VPN services providing WireGuard access and configurations before my three years subscription expires. Moreover, MY experience with NordVPN service was always optimal, so I wait more news and ā€¦ better times

2 Likes

If they modify Wireguard they may need to open source.

The Nord modification nordlynx can allow IP address dynamically. This make the management in the server side greatly.

Will this improve privacy? Maybe not. The server can always know which IP address the user uses, whatever it is dynamical or static.

1 Like

Yeah as Alfie wrote any changes NordVPN make to Wireguard need to be made public. You can ask them for a link to the source code changes they made.

Also, im not so sure its a privacy issue. Wireguard requires fixed IP addresses set for each client in the config file, IPā€™s internally used to identify each connected client INTERNALLY. This is not public in any way. OpenVPN also requires IPā€™s, but they are not statically set in the config files, they are dynamically issued on each connection, that is the main difference here. So i guess they are worried that if the Feds raid their server farm, all the config files will show all the connections to users, but that is just a poor implementation server side. If you raid an OpenVPN server farm, all the connections are still in memory until the server is shut down, they would be able to link connections in that way too. Having a server kill switch where it shuts down all processes (for OpenVPN) and an extra wipe of all configs (for Wireguard) would be better for them.

BTW you can check threads about NordVPN. They had a massive privacy leak and did not disclose about it until the hack was made public on Twitter, donā€™t trust them for anything.

2 Likes

Thanx alzhao and Johnex for your comments.
Iā€™m not so technical to be able to have a clear picture of the implementation details of the different VPN solutions. But I understand the general meaning of what you explained.
For Johnex: thanks for your warning about NordVPN, which I use mainly to access restricted streaming services around the world, such as UK-BBC, US-TV and other public broadcasters which impose restrictions on te countries where youā€™re connectiong from. For my needs itā€™s perfect, but I understand itā€™s not ok when one needs strict privacy. Do you know better VPN services when privacy is the main purpose?
Cheers

1 Like

Here is a list of VPNā€™s and more info about the 14 eyes:

I personally use Mulvad and VPN.ac, and i know AzireVPN is also great.

1 Like

Thank you very much Johnex for all your valuable information

1 Like

The real issue with using Wireguard as a VPN is as stated earlier:

Wireguard was designed as a Point-to-Point VPN, not the traditional RoadWarrior or one server, many client configurations which are the traditional model for commercial services.

Trying to blend the P-to-P model of Wireguard with a many client-to-one server model is why NordVPN only support their own application as a connection.

Cheers.

2 Likes

There must be a way around it though. VPN Unlimited are able to offer configs for wireguard. Sure VPN Unlimited is not as big as NordVPN but they are not small either. If they could do it, then Nord definitely can do it.

1 Like