Configure wireguard client to connect to NordVPN servers?

@sfiorini Hey mate. You are an absolute legend! Thanks so much for this.

I noticed there’s no PersistentKeepalive component to the generated conf. Do we need to do anything with that or is it good to go?

1 Like

You are right. I need to add that. It’s very important to keep a persistent connection. It’s should have a value of 25.

Thank you,
Stefano

@Avsynthe I did add “PersistentKeepalive = 25” as I use it on all my permanent VPN connections. Thank you for pointing that out. You can pull the latest code on github.

Stefano

Hello all,
Many many thanks for all the efforts and time in this thread. I’ve hacked around with DD-WRT,
Asuswrt-merlin, Ubuntu and now my 2nd Gl.inet router (Beryl)
Many thanks Stefano for putting it all together in your bash script.
To date, this has been the best result for me, running NordVPN wireguard on a router.
I hope my question is simple. I generate the config files from Ubuntu and Nordvpn linux client.
I have noticed when running the resulting wireguard client on Beryl, that an additional server
is appearing on an extended test, dnsleaktest.com page. A server I don’t see with any of the native
Nordlynx apps (Windows/Linux).

Specifically…

185.152.67.116 unn-185-152-67-116.datapacket.com. Datacamp Limited

I’m wondering if I need to add DNS servers to my linux Nordvpn settings, before running NordVpnToWireguard.sh ? Which doesn’t seem logical as I believe nord defaults to its
own DNS servers, if none specified ?

We had noticed some odd behaviour with Beryl and the above procedures, great download
speeds ! 4x faster than openvpn for us, however some initial landing screens on services,
very slow to load all the graphics. Also the odd ‘warning’ that I was using a VPN.
This led me to the dns leak test.

I’m happy to share any config files, or Beryl MT-1300 screengrab settings if it also helps others.
I notice some DNS references from the past, in this thread, but they don’t seen relevant
to my setup.

I’m extremely grateful to have got this far, and hope the possible ‘dns-leak’ helps others.
I pondered if NordVPN owns Datacamp LTD, however beryl, and this WG setup,
is the only combo that generates Datacamp LTD, in a dns leak test for me.

I think 185.152.67.116 is the NordVPN server (i.e., endpoint) that you have chosen to connect to. You can look up the the IP address of the endpoint that is in your Wireguard config file (network-tools.com).

NordVPN servers are hosted in 3rd-party data centers, including Datacamp Limited. The same applies to other VPN providers.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

Hi wes228,

Many thanks for your reply, and you are 100% correct. My initial searches on Datacamp had me nervous as it was being flagged by spam/malware monitors. But I have had confirmation, as you
said, that Nord does use these guys.

I’m still unsure as to why the native Nordvpn clients (linux/windows) never lists datacamp in dns leak
tests using WG, (Perhaps its that double encryption deal Nordlynx does ?) and that we are using
native WG in this instance.

Sorry if I misled anyone. I think this whole setup is fantastic and
sincerely appreciate what’s been done here. If there is a setting, or something I’m doing incorrectly
that introduces the extra 3 Datacamp servers I see. I will post ‘why’ here. But I’m leaning towards
‘It is what it is’…

1 Like

I am a bit confused here… Why is Wireguard for NORDVPN so hard to get configured easily… (For those without easy access to Ubuntu)
For OpenVPN I just go to the Nord site and download the config and I am up. But I take a big hit in speed. Whats it going to take to get the same ease for Wireguard?

NordVPN has their own proprietary WireGuard implementation called “NordLynx”, so they do not provide config files to users. You can “reverse generate” your own config files on Linux that is backwards-compatible with standard WireGuard, but this is not supported by NordVPN.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

Not rally concerned if they support it… Just care if it works… Do I really have to set up a linux environment just to create the config file?

Cant I just create one in an editor and fill in the missing pieces? then past it into the router? I am looking for the easy button…
I guess at the last resort, I could set up a linux VM on my old laptop… But what a pain in the ARSE… :frowning:

Hey :wave::blush: first of all many thanks to help with the Config files. I am using the small GLI net 300 for my Smart TV and when we eventually travel again. But I have the problem that when I used OpenVPN config file from nordvpn.com it works faster and better then Wire guard. It connects snd works fine in my phone but live streaming is not working on my tv at all. Is it because this small router is not capable? But I was thinking speeds up to 300 Mbits are supported and if i use LAN directly to my PC I have 300Mbits. Is there anything I can do?

You’re not going to get 300mpbs of VPN performance out of either of the 300 series routers - more like 10 on OpenVPN and 50 on Wireguard (at best).

1 Like

Hey, yes that is clear but 50mbs download speed on Wireguard would already be more then perfect for what I am doing, streaming IPTV on LG Smart TV. The only problem is that if I am connected with Open VPN it works 95% of time, some small sputters here and there while connecting the TV with Mango and NordVPN servers.

But if I am doing the workaround on Ubuntu to get the Wireguard Credentials and then connecting the Mango via Wireguard to the VPN servers, the IPTV App does not even show anything, no stream, no videos nothing. Youtube works though. Kind of strange.

Hey!! First I also would like to thank everyone for helping us to get nordlynx in our routers and many thanks to Stefano for the script.

I run the script in ubuntu and finally get the config file, then I set it up in my asus (merlin) router. However, when I switch it on, the connection seems to be established correctly and it returns no error, but the traffic reported is really low (few kbs) and when I check my IP I’m actually out of the tunnel. It seems that the router does not enroute all the traffic through the VPN. Why is this happening? How can I solve it?

Hello everybody,

I own a Brume (GL-MV1000) and want to use it for legal livestreams to bypass geoblocking.

If anybody is using the same router with NordVPN I would like to know how well it works.
I haven’t quite understood if Wireguard protocol can be configured to be used on this router or not.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thank you for the interest in advance.

I have found that the Wireguard hack makes it slow sometimes. I feel even OpenVPN is slower it is more stable then “hacking” NordVPN to get the Wireguard access.
I am going to switch to another VPN as well as I have found NordVPN is very strong on the marketing side of things but not on the product side of things.

1 Like

I was successful in configuring wireguard client on the glmt1300 router. Requires a little bit of work. Pretty simple though if you can follow the instructions… Extract NordVPN WireGuard configuration files | NordLynx | Ubuntu | Windows - YouTube

1 Like

can chatgpt do for me?

1 Like

I am not an SME on the subject. I can however tell that ChatGPT is good at providing responses. It will provide you guidelines similar to what you will find in the instructions above on the same subject.

1 Like

You mentioned that curl and jq need to be installed on the router. Why is that? if this is done just to fetch the info one time, why not do it on your local computer? It doesn’t seem like you are automating actually applying the config to the client

Because that’s how the one-line-script works. It does not make sense to discuss this.
This thread is also very old, so I’m going to lock it now.

If you want to take up the topic again, please create a new thread.