Configuring a GL. iNet Router for StarlinkSFT1200

I have just purchased 2 x SFT1200 travel routers. I did a firmware update to Version 4.3.11 Release 3 on 26 May 2024 to the one I am setting up now to connect as a stand alone router to a Starlink Generation 2 Dish.

I want to use the router with my Starlink Gen 2 12v Conversion Kit. I have been using a larger TP Link AX1500 router with my kit which gives me consistent internet download speeds on Starlink of 250+ Mbps.

I have plugged the GL into my dish, logged in OK as admin and set up password, etc.

I have left the SFT1200 on its "DHCP" IP setting with no other setting done. When configuring a TP Link router for Starlink, "Dynamic IP" & "Do not Change (or Default) MAC Address" are the key settings it uses for Starlink connection. The SFT1200 seems to not have these setting options.

Applying the "DHCP" setting, the SFT1200 immediately connected to the Starlink internet. However, it gives me very low download speed test results when compared to what is given when using my TP Link router or the Starlink proprietary router. The SFT1200 is averaging download speeds of from only 15 Mbps up to 40-50 Mbps. Very occasiona─║ it gives up to 60Mbps. Upload speeds are OK.

If I simply take the ethernet cable out of the SFT1200 WAN port and plug it into the TP Link AX1500 router WAN port beside it, the TP Link router immediately gives me my usual 250+Mbps download speed through the same connection to the dish.

What settings should be selected when configuring a GL.iNet 1200 router to obtain higher speed internet from Starlink OR are the download speeds of the router very limited to those mentioned above when connected to Starlink Generation 2 dish?

Are your download speed tests over WiFi or wired connection?

They are over wifi.

I have done some more testing since my post and have just found out some mlre things the issue after closer specs checking on Google. GL.iNet SFT1200 'Opals' are not "SmartConnect" enabled like many wifi 6 routers which select the best connection type depending where it finds your device. With the Opal, you must log on to either their 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz network. So I then logged on to its 5 Ghz network for the first time with my device sitting right next to it. It immediately gave me speeds up to 170Mbps with one over 250Mbps with the lowest being 80Mbps. I stood outside the metal walled shed in which the van is housed (5Ghz don't like obstacles) and the speed halved but with the lowest download speed still an improved 80Mbps and some times up to 150Mbps. Standing in same place outside the shed with the obstacle friendlier 2.4Ghz network connected I could not get over 30-40Mbps which is almost the same as sitting next to the router with my device! There are a few conclusions that could be drawn from all this. An Opal might be fine for caravanners who only want relatively fast internet speeds when sitting inside or just outsie the door lf their van. Uess their is another solution, I think the user should just forget about connecting Starlink to the Opal's 2.4 Ghz network and only use the 5zGhz network with its distance and obstacles limitation.

Set the 5ghz to AC only and the 2.4ghz to N only in the wireless settings.
Yes agreed that is the same on the Beryl AX.

Thanks for that advice.:+1: