Configuring an Access Point with Wireguard VPN server

I have a GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango). The WAN port is connected to my ISP’s router/gateway.

I’d really like to configure the Mango, which I use as a Wireguard server, so that the WiFi and LAN port were on the same subnet as the WAN and the IP addresses were served from my gateway’s DHCP server.

However when I set the Mango as an access point the VPN menu disappears.

Is what I want to do possible on the Mango or perhaps another device like the Flint?

Reviving an old topic here but did you ever find a way to get this working?

I have the same use case with an AXT1800 Slate AX behind my primary router / gateway. I managed to configure a wireguard server with shell commands using OpenWRT packages but it’s very unstable and doesn’t seem to connect or route properly most of the time.

Would love a more reliable and user-friendly way to do this, a 550 Mbps dedicated wireguard server that can easily be pulled from my home network and reconfigure as a travel router / wireguard client without making changes to my home network would be a pretty useful device to have.

I have the same problem with GL-B1300 and last firmware, v4.3.7.

I’ve also tried to access directly to /#/wgserver or /#/vpndashboard urls which are available on router mode without success

Well, because AccessPoint isn’t usually for something like that. I would stay with router mode.

1 Like

My primary router is already running a wireguard server, I just wanted the second one for redundancy. Unfortunately if I change it to router mode out of AP mode I’m stuck with a double NAT which prevents a lot of my 50+ smart home devices from working correctly.

I was able to configure it using terminal commands, but it would be nice to have a gui option for this. No reason why the wireguard package can’t run in AP mode.