Configuring multiple internet connection priority

Hello,

I’m fairly well versed in all things computer, but my networking skills are both rusty and limited.

I have a GL.iNet GL-MT300N. We have very slow rural DSL (1.2 Mbps) connected to the WAN port. The LAN port is connected to a switch with several ethernet peripherals on it. I connect my phone via USB tether 4G to the GL-MT300N for the household to use, but only when I’m home.

As it’s configured now, WAN port has priority, and if I connect my phone tethering at the same time, it keeps using the slow WAN as internet, and I have to manually go downstairs and pull the WAN plug. If I forget to plug it back in, and then take my phone and leave, things get dicey with my family. :grin:

I want to set it up so that:

• Internet priority is USB tethering, but when I disconnect my phone, I want it to use the WAN as backup. When I re-tether my phone, I want the router to switch back to that automatically.

Can anyone help me achieve this? I already have mwan3 and LUci installed, but I don’t see any way to do anything with the different internet connections that would allow me to prioritize them in the way I want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance!!

1 Like

Here’s an diagram of the network.

You ssh to the router and edit this file

/etc/config/network

You can find there is a option metric in each interface. The values should be 10, 20, 30, 40

A low value mean priority. You can adjust and try.

There is metric value in /etc/config/mwan3

But the values in network should take effect.

2 Likes

I am also trying to do this I want to use a hotspot when my cable stops working… then give priority to my cable modem when it comes back online how do I do this?

1 Like

This is the default settings and you do not need to do anyting.

On my GL-S1300, WAN (Ethernet) and WWAN (WiFi 4G dongle) are active. WAN is priority 20 by default, WAN priority 10 by default. I have a monthly limit on WAN and would like to auto-switch to WWAN if my phone HOTSPOT is turned on.

The hotspot works and becomes active in the GL-S1300 main page automatically when I tun the phone hotspot on, BUT the WWAN WILL NOTtake over even after changing the metric (/etc/config/network) for WWAN to 9 (ie lower than WAN) and rebooting to be sure. WWAN will only take over if WAN is actually disconnected at the wall.

STOP PRESS… Adjusting values in /etc/config/mwan3 fixed it for me AND I didn’t need to reboot. SO, looking in MWAN3…
``
config member ‘wan_only’
option interface ‘wan’
option metric ‘2’
option weight ‘3’

config member ‘wwan_only’
option interface ‘wwan’
option metric ‘1’
option weight ‘3’
``
If you notice I’ve swapped over the METRIC value (nothing else) so that WWAN is metric “1” and WAN is metric “2” that’s all I needed. So now my phone HOTSPOT will take over when it is on, if it is off, the GL-S1300 (and so I guess any similar router based on OpenWRT) router reverts to the normal broadband.

MAGIC - I hope this helps others. Now all I need do is find a way to get the router to connect to the HotSpot 100% of the time - it does so 90%+ of the time without me having to pick the SAVED NETWORK, but opccasionally it doesn’t bother. Anyone messing with a similar situation may find THIS interesting. I’m writing everything up on my blog. Broadband or 4G / 5G mobile? That is the Question! - Scargill's Tech Blog - I hope that is helpful.

3 Likes