Configuring SQM to reduce Bufferbloat

Thanks for the useful guide. A couple of questions please: 1) I have followed all the steps but I cannot find the nxt_routed_hfsc.qos on the list of options in the Queue setup script on my GL.iNet Brume but I am not sure why that is. Any idea? 2) My internet is via VDSL and so I chose ATM, but do I leave the per packet overhead at 0 or do I change it to 44?

Thanks again for any help.

I am having the same problem :frowning: just installing luci-app-sqm seems to have bricked my MT-1300. No response after reboots/resets.

@alzhao and @Johnex any ideas on what to try?

use 44

(post must have 20char)

1 Like

Replying to myself: I was able to recover using the procedure in Debrick via Uboot - GL.iNet Docs, just a note: the WAN port did not work and had to connect to one of the LAN ports, but the router is back in business :slight_smile:

The debrick procedure is a life saver! Now I am curious to know why it all happen

1 Like

@jxs457, did you get your router back? Have you tried booting into recovery mode to see if it is still responsive?

@Almahadeus, I’d recommend rebooting after installing luci-app-sqm and sqm-scripts. I’ve read that certain configurations may not load the scripts correctly without a reboot. Please let us know if that resolves the issue for you. If not what’s your firmware revision and router model?

1 Like

@arkangelglinet, debricking and a backup have saved me more times that I care to count. What version of firmware are you running on that MT-1300? luci-app-sqm makes changes to the web interface, however that shouldn’t cause it to fail.

Hi @mmonaghan, I am continuing the investigation in SQM package installation bricks GL-MT1300 (Beryl) firmware 3.200 since it seems a GL-MT1300 issue in particular.

My Beryl is back after Debrick and while we figure things out for SQM, which is a really desirable feature IMHO, I am experimenting with Hardware flow offloading since I will have to disable it once that works :grin:

@mmonaghan
I tried the guide again and it does work, I just needed to reboot after, which I didn’t do the first time. You should include rebooting in the guide :smiley:

I had 2ms buffering, basically no bloat on the downstream, but on the upstream I did have around 200ms. After SQM it is now around 5ms, so that worked perfect.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the nxt_routed_hfsc.qos on the list of options in the Queue setup script still does not exist even after a router reboot (please see attached screen). My current firmware is: openwrt-mv1000-emmc-3.105. I have just chosen the default option (simple.qos) and setup the upload and download speeds to 90% of my speedtest as recommended but the streaming is now terrible and glitchy with increased buffering. Followed the instruction to the letter other than not having the queue setup script recommended and I am not sure where I am going wrong with this.

Yes, I was just able to recover (by de-Bricking). Thank you.

The WebUI on the Beryl is a bit different from my Mango2. I wonder if install package is trying to modify pages that are no longer there or have been changed / re-designed, etc.

can i check with you about this per-host- isolation

is it the same setting for wwan interface and wlan interface? their ingress egress are opposites

from man page tc-cake(8) - Linux manual page

dual-srchost
Flows are defined by the 5-tuple, and fairness is applied
first over source addresses, then over individual flows. Good
for use on egress traffic from a LAN to the internet, where it’ll
prevent any one LAN host from monopolising the uplink, regardless
of the number of flows they use.

dual-dsthost
Flows are defined by the 5-tuple, and fairness is applied
first over destination addresses, then over individual flows.
Good for use on ingress traffic to a LAN from the internet, where
it’ll prevent any one LAN host from monopolising the downlink,
regardless of the number of flows they use.

so yes beware where you apply sqm and advanced options, usually is best to apply cake with per host isolation to wan interface to avoid trouble :wink:

Wondering if someone could explain something to me:

I haven’t logged into my velica for while, finally did and saw Cake was available to choose. So, obviously I chose it.

But, when I run either tc- s qdisc or tc -d qdisc I do not see the word cake - instead I see fq_codel.

Just curious, why this would be - does anyone have any insight?

I’m suprised nobody answered you.
I took this straight from OpenWrt documentation:

piece_of_cake.qos 	 	This just uses the cake qdisc as a replacement for htb as shaper and fq_codel as leaf qdisc. It just does not come any simpler than this, in other words it truely is a “piece of cake”. This script requires that cake is selected as qdisc. See: http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake for more information 

Can we still use this?

Do you have any pics I can follow from?

on the wiki page it’s says ( nat duel-dsthost ) you’ve put nat-duel dsthost ingress which one do I put in? :blush:

Thank you

Try nat dual-dsthost ingress for incoming(ingress)

thanks for releasing firmware 4.3.2 beta 1 to mt300n-v2 (mango)
i flashed it successfully via uboot

I tried to install the luci-app-sqm plugin but returns following error:

Collected errors:

• pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency kmod-sched-cake for sqm-scripts
  • pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for sqm-scripts found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
  • satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for luci-app-sqm:
  • kmod-sched-cake
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-sqm.

other non sqm qos plugin related issues with this firmware for mango:

• advanced page (luci) is in Chinese
  • no firewall custom rules page (/cgi-bin/luci/admin/network/firewall/custom)

Piece of cake is in there