Confused about max LAN speeds

It looks that way. Since my ISP router has a gigabit ethernet port that does mean it can definitely do up to 1000mbps right? Imagine buying a £121 router to find out you need to upgrade… the other router

Presumably your ISP gives you (or rents you) their own router. If you’re doing fiber, then yes, any fiber modem should be able to do 1gbps. If cable, then I’ve lost track of the DOCSIS standards, but you can probably check to make sure it’s capable of doing that.

I can throw the two slow gl-inet routers on and see, but I would imagine that any of them can do 1gbps unencrypted, as long as you’re not doing anything crazy in terms of routing.

If you’re wanting to do 1gbps encrypted over Wireguard, none of them are going to do that. You need to get a real router and pair it with a wireless access point.

Perhaps a larger point is that it’s pretty rare to get over 500mbps from the general internet anyway, unless you’re downloading from a speedtest site or Steam. So honestly I wouldn’t sweat it that much. Just because you can theoretically download at a certain rate doesn’t mean you’ll actually see those speeds often in real life.

1 Like

Yes its fiber and they’re having to drill through a wall to install some cable, I believe they said the minimum I would get was 500 and the maximum was 900 which made no sense to me as why would I get 900 on a subscription for 500?

I’m not intending to ever re upgrade again so 1gig per second won’t be needed I just wanted to be sure I won’t have to buy even more stuff.

Living in an authoritarian country such as the UK makes me feel the requirement to always encrypt my traffic with either wireguard or openVPN

Your traffic is encrypted anyway, of course - but if you’re using a VPN you’re going to be tunneling it to someone else who can see the sites you’re going to, rather than your ISP. Which may be a fair tradeoff, but I generally don’t trust any of the VPN providers more than I trust (in my case) AT&T.

If you really want a longer upgrade path, go grab a “cheap” pfSense appliance off aliexpress and pair it with a good Unifi access point. Then you can upgrade either independently depending on whether you need faster wireless speed or VPN performance. But now you’re probably into ~£350-400. Like I said, there’s no ceiling on what you can spend.

1 Like

The VPN provider uses RAM disc servers with no hard drives, their no log policy has been legally proven in court. They also do multihop servers so hop1 can’t read data passing between user and hop2, hop2 also has no record of where hop1 came from.

Right now I think I will just have to go with the Slate AX as 500mbps would be more than enough, are you sure its okay to use the default included ethernet cable for linking to the ISP router?

Any cat5 cable will be fine.

1 Like

The only thing better then the Slate AX is the Flint. But the Flint is not portable and does not use usb c to power. That being said the Slate AX does use an unusual power supply of 5v 4a (this only needed if using the USB3 for a older mechanical harddrive.

2 Likes

Are those the ones which plug into a wall socket?

You don’t have to use the included supply (I immediately threw mine in the trashcan). In normal conditions it draws about 5W, iirc.

1 Like

I plug my Mango into my ISP routers USB port and that powers it fine, I can’t tell whether the included Ethernet cable is Cat5 though so I will buy the previously linked ones just to cover everything. Thanks a lot for all your help its much appreciated

1 Like

You’ll be fine with the included cable. Buy the other one if the included one doesn’t work.

You probably won’t be able to power the slate AX from a standard USB port, but might be worth trying.

1 Like