Confused about max LAN speeds

Hi, I’m about to upgrade my ISP subscription from 100mbps to 500mbps which means I shall need to upgrade from my Mango router also. What I’m confused about is my main ISP router has only 1 gigabit ethernet port which is what I use to provide network access to the Mango. If I upgrade to a GL-MT1300 Beryl and connect it to the main router via this 1 gigabit port would I be able to get the advertised 500mbps download speeds when wirelessly connecting in 5GHz mode? I plan to add a wireguard VPN too so I expect some reduction but hopefully not too much. Thanks

Your Internet access speed will be limited at 500mbps (theoretically).
Wifi access speed towards Internet will be limited at 500mbps (theoretically).
Wifi access speed towards internal network (other devices at your home) could be more than 500mbps.

1 Like

Like y2kbug said 500mbps is you theoretical max throughput to your ISP. If you have commercial Internet you will receive that speed 90% of the time. If you have a residential internet you will receive 15-20sec of max bandwidth then it will throttle till more bandwidth is available. Max wireless speed is generally within 1-2 meters of the Access Point(your mango or beryl). You also need to use WPA2/WPA3 encryption to get max speed.

1 Like

Thanks for your response.
I will only need wifi to access the internet, I’m not really bothered about stuff like remotely accessing the router for file transfer if that’s what you mean.

I believe its a commercial ISP, it is owned by British Telecom and used nationally so I don’t think its residential; is there any way I can check to confirm? Hopefully I won’t be far from the access point. Is WPA2 PSK the same as just WPA2? That is what the Mango uses and from checking the Beryl page it doesn’t actually specify which types are available and how to change then.
GL-MT1300 / Beryl - GL.iNet

Since my original question about using the gigabit port on my main ISP router for wired access to the internet hasn’t received any direction I assume I was correct?

If you are using the broadband at your home, it is residential broadband.
Commercial broadband is used in office.

WPA2 contains PSK and AES (or more, I am not sure).
I would suggest you choosing any available WPA2 (with or without WPA3) options.
(WPA3 is not supported on many mobile devices yet)
You may need to play with “bandwidth” and “channe” in your WIFI settings to get optimal speed.

1 Like

Ah okay in that case it definitely isn’t commercial broadband.
Thank you for the help.

1 Like

Residential is term to define the use. In the USA residential can have data caps and is geared toward home users with a smart TV 2-3 computers and they are not going to be constantly on and in use.
Commercial is 24/7 use not data cap. Simply defined

So you original question of the Ethernet port the Mango can only do 10mbps or 100mbps. The beryl will have a 10/100/1000 and can do a gigabit. The cable should also be a CAT 5e.

Will you get 500mbps Wifi, Yes and no. If you have it configured correctly, not in congested WiFi space you should

1 Like

I understand that now thanks, its not terminology I was familiar with. The Mango has a max speed of 300mbps so after upgrading my ISP subscription to 500mbps I will see if its giving me its max speed, which realistically it should if its on a connection with 200mbps more than what it can use. If it works I will then upgrade to the Beryl which I guess I’ll have to set to gigabit 1000mbps mode to use the full 500mbps since its over 100 but under 1000.

I know you’ve already answered a lot (which I appreciate) but is there any exact specifics I should be looking to change? I know absolutely nothing about networks and was surprised to even get the Mango working. I think my area is probably quieter wifi space than most, there are no houses opposite me whereas most streets have houses facing other houses. Thanks

Edit: I just thought that if by wifi space you mean number of people connected then it would only be me connected to the glinet router and one person connected to the direct router. I’m aware one person creating heavy network strain by downloading updates or whatever will slow the connection for others using the same ISP router as connection source.

So your mango has a top wired speed of 100mbps even with you isp speed upgrade to 500mbps.This is because the Ethernet is only 10/100 and not 10/100/1000. Will need a Ethernet that that can handle 1000mbps to get the 500mbps.

The default settings on you computer are fine unless you are having a issue.

1 Like

You are not likely to get 500mbps consistently from any wireless router, but if you want the best shot I would get something that is wifi 6 (AX) capable.

Said differently, you will never get the maximum theoretical speed from any wireless device. You can usually get (very) close on a wired device, but with wireless take the theoretical max and generally cut it in half for best case. So for the Slate AX, take the 1200mbps on the 5ghz band and figure that you should probably be able to get about 600mbps in the best case, and you’ll probably get more like 300-400 on a normal day. For the Beryl take the 867mbps on the 5ghz band and assume that you’ll get maybe 400 max, and more like 250-300 on average.

If you’re concerned about that, spring for the extra money and get the Slate AX.

1 Like

What if I were to wirelessly connect my ISP router to the Mango? Could it then do 300?

This is rather disheartening to hear, the upgrade looks like it will cost more than expected or intended. I’ve looked on the UK branch of Amazon and the only Slate AX listed had no price and looks to be pre order only. There are glinet news releases about it from this year so as its one of the newest I imagine it would be one of the most expensive too. For the time being I think I will have to go with the Beryl and hope for it to be nearer 400 than 250

I mean you are going to repeat it wireless again to a device it may be faster, most likely will not because I think your WiFi radio needs to switch back and forth between transmission and receive (also a drawback of the beryl). You can only be as fast as the slowest connection.

The Slate Plus GL-A1300 might be a better option.( Maybe not with the Black Friday Deals)

1 Like

Why would it be a bad idea to purchase it if on a black friday sale? If it becomes more affordable then its a bonus. Also, are these the type of cables I should buy? https://www.amazon.co.uk/rhinocables-Cat5e-Ethernet-Speed-Network/dp/B0728GS2VH

Edit: I’ve managed to find a price for the slate ax, £121. Big ooft

I personally think I would go with a Slate Plus over a Beryl, given that they’re within a few dollars of each other. More memory for packages, and ARM vs MIPS. Wifi speeds should be relatively similar, but the ipq4000 series is quite a bit newer than the MT7621.

1 Like

Yeah I think you’re right, I’ve no idea what mips even is lol. They are on Amazon for £90 so I will go for that https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-A1300-Encrypted-Tethering-Pocket-Sized/dp/B0B4ZSR2PX/

Do you think I should get fairly decent speeds with that router and the previously linked cables? I plan to use a wireguard VPN as well which I know will slow things down a bit but probably not too much, the provider I use has passed 1gb/s speed tests in reviews and markets near zero speed change as a selling point

You won’t get more than 200mbps out of either the Slate Plus or the Beryl if you’re routing everything over wireguard. Again, look at the spec sheets. The Slate AX can push 550mbps over Wireguard. If you’re really concerned about speed, spend the extra 30 pounds and get the better router. That comes out to less than 10 pence a day if you keep it for a year.

You can buy whatever cable you want. That’s not going to matter until you are trying to go over 1G.

1 Like

Christ on a bicycle, I’m being incrementally lured in by an inanimate object. Is the £121 model the overall single best plan or are there alternatives outside the realm of glinet which can do the same but are of a more obscure manufacturer?

All depends on what you mean by “do the same” and “best”. There are plenty of other device manufacturers who make home routers, and the sky’s the limit on what you can spend. I’m not familiar with every router in the consumer space, but if you want to do 500+mbps of encrypted traffic, you’re going to need to spend >100 pounds, methinks.

1 Like