Connect my travel router to my home USA ISP

Hello,

I know someone who access a USA home ISP service form a different country using his GL Inet router. If he turn off the USA router ISP then the GL Inet from the different country turn off automatically. Please kindly advise how i can do this point to point configuration where my GL router access the USA home internet

Do you mean just set up a vpn server in your USA home and use a GL router somewhere connecting to it?

Check the tutorials about setting up server and client Overview - GL.iNet Docs

Hello,

Yes, thats what i mean access my USA home ISP through my GL. If installing a server can do that please kindly advise on how to do that ? i am seeing the tutorial Doc but it did not really give me the details i want. For me to install the server should i select an ip from my home ISP service and configure it to my GL using the option open VPN server or client ? is there any configuration that i need to do to the other side in USA. Please kindly advise with details

To set up a server, pls refer to WireGuard Server - GL.iNet Docs

If you have one of our router you can do this easily.

Pls note, if the VPN server router is your main router, it will take your ISP IP address automatically. You may not need to do further settings.

If the VPN server router is under your main router, you need to set up port forward on your main router. For example:

If the vpn router get IP 192.168.1.100 from your main router
you should set up port forward in you main router, from port 51820 to 192.168.1.100, 51820

This explanation is very important to me. please kindly advise which router that you consider as main router? is it the one that is connected directly to my USA ISP service and you consider the VPN router as the one connected outside of the USA ?

Please clarify this configuration , did you mean that i need two routers for this configuration ? the first one is the one connected to the USA internet as a server and the second one outside of the USA as a client? please kindly provide the explanation details like this so i can understand the configuration

Here’s my setup as an example:

My home router is an Asus RT-86U, which connects to the internet through a cable modem. My travel router is a Beryl, which connects through whatever connection I have at the time.

The 86U runs an openvpn server (native firmware doesn’t do wireguard). My Beryl has an openvpn client that connects to that server, providing access to any device on my home network. The client can also be set to access the internet only through the tunnel.

My laptops may also connect to the internet, perhaps at a public wifi hotspot. They also can make a client connection to the 86U and then access the internet only through the tunnel.

Hope that helps.

If you travel outside USA (or inside USA, but leave your home), you want to use your home IP to access the Internet:

1. You should configure your home router as vpn server
  2. You can export the config form your vpn router and configure on any of those choice: a. other outers, b. your smartphone, c. your app

very good explanation,

now my questions is the following: how to configure the open VPN server is it through open VPN server or wireguard? if its either or then i was a bit confused about the configuration

on the tutorial video that i previously watched, i was seeing that after configuring the open VPN server it gives only one ip address on the configuration file which is 10.8.0.0 so after the configuration if i export the file to an outside open VPN client router will the ip be within 10.8.0.0 network or will it give me the normal ip of m home ISP.

Second scenario , when you configure the open VPN client will it gives the ISP ip address automatically or will it gives the 10.8.0.0

Good explanation,

now my questions is the following: how to configure the open VPN server is it through open VPN server or wireguard? if its either or then i was a bit confused about the configuration

on the tutorial video that i previously watched, i was seeing that after configuring the open VPN server it gives only one ip address on the configuration file which is 10.8.0.0 so after the configuration if i export the file to an outside open VPN client router will the ip be within 10.8.0.0 network or will it give me the normal ip of m home ISP.

Second scenario , when you configure the open VPN client will it gives the ISP ip address automatically or will it gives the 10.8.0.0

If the openvpn server is configured with 10.8.0.0 as the subnet, it will give clients addresses of 10.8.0.2, 10.8.0.3, etc. and route those addresses to your home network. It doesn’t give you addresses on your home network directly.

i just tried the same configuration using two GL INET travel routers. the one from the other country refused to access the main router where the server is configured in the USA. when i try to establish the connection the internet from the other country went down .

What might be the problem and also if i purchase the Asus RT-886 U will you be able to help me to establish the connection ?

One GL router working as server? Can you give the ovpn content?

Pls note if you have a main router, and the GL router is connected to your main router and working as vpn server, you should port forward on your main router.

both routers are GL and every time that i am trying to establish the second router to the main GL where the server is connected then the internet wet down.

I attached the Open vpn content and please also advised if the GL router has the port forwarding option and if so kindly provide the tutorial for the configuration

can you confirm if the GL router (vpn server side) is connected to your ISP network directly, or you have another ISP router?

You should set up port forward on your ISP router.

You should also change one of your GL router (either vpn client one or vpn server one) LAN IP to others, e.g. 192.168.10.1. By default both are 192.168.8.1

Hello,

thankyou so much for trying to help me,

My GL router server side is connected to another little router which is connected to my ISP modem so meaning that my GL server side is receiving internet connection from the little router connect to my USA ISP modem. In that case you mean for me to set up port forwarding on the ISP modem or the little router that provide connection to the GL ?

Also give me an example on how to set up the port forwarding

You need to set up port forward on this little router.

For example, if you are using openvpn, which may use port 1194 as the port. Then you should set up port forward on your little router, from port 1194 to IP of GL router and port 1194. You can find the IP or GL router from your little router’s client list or from GL router’s Internet status.

If you google you can find a lot of guide to set up port forward. Different brands’ UI are different.

again thank you

if i configure port forwarding on this little router and i do not configure it on the main ISP modem do you think it will work? because the little router is connected to the main ISP modem to get the internet to my room and from my room i connect the GL server to it

i am just asking and if i need to configure the port forwarding only on this little router i will definitely do it

I can only make a guess: you do not need to do it in the modem.

If it is just a modem, it just give a public IP to the little router. So the little router is the main NAT and the modem is just a bridge, which you does not have control at all.

But if the modem is a router as well, i.e. it has NAT and only issue your little router a private IP, you need to do port forward on the modem as well. You can check in your little router’s UI if it has a public IP or private IP.

the modem is an atnt uverse router so i think i need to do it on both the modem and the little router.

also,my GL client refuse to connect saying UDP not bound.

i will do a configuration screenshot

see the error that i have on the client router after established the connection and also see the script of the open vpn file