Connect to your own VPN server with GL-MT300N

Is it possible to connect with GL-MT300N to your own VPN server set up on Windows 10? Or to program an OpenVPN or WireGuard configuration file with its own settings?

Yes of course you can.

Just generate the config file and try.

Thanks for your answer but I didn’t understand it, how to generate this config file? I have currently at my home PC a VPN server using the Windows 10 built-in VPN server and I wish to connect to it with a GL-MT300N router. Taking into account that GL-MT300N can use only fixed OpenVPN or WireGuard configuration files, shall I install an OpneVPN server on my PC or shall I do anything else?

Of course you need to install vpn server on your PC.

For your reference, you need to install either Openvpn or Wireguard.

Windows built-in vpn server does not work. Actually I don’t know what it is.

Yes, it’s possible to set up your own VPN server and connect from the MT300N - I have a half dozen machines connecting to my own VPN right now.

I don’t use windows so I can’t tell you exactly what to do aside from google for “openvpn server windows” or “wireguard server windows”, but there do appear to be a lot of guides. No idea whether it’s better to use native windows builds of OpenVPN or Wireguard, or to run them under WSL. That said, I’ve been able to reuse the same openvpn server configuration between MacOS, FreeBSD, and Linux with minimal changes.

1 Like