Connectivity issues

I recently set up two GL.iNet AX1800 routers, with one located in the UK serving as the server, and the other here in Egypt acting as the client. However, I’ve been encountering persistent connectivity problems.

Despite trying various configurations, including GoodCloud and WireGuard, the connection remains unstable. I suspect that these issues might be due to internet censorship imposed by the Egyptian government.

Have you encountered similar situations before, or do you have any recommendations to address this matter? Your assistance in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Wireguard is great for security and speed but it is not the stealthiest VPN protocol and is relatively simple to block. I use SoftEther’s native protocol and Shadowsocks when stealth is important. I find that these protocols are easier to setup using generic OpenWrt, as they are not directly supported with GL iNet firmware.

2 Likes

What @eric said. Changing the WG Server to port 53 or 443 instead of 51820 might do the trick presuming Egypt isn’t doing some deep packet inspection.

Hey everyone, great to hear from you! I’m curious, can the stealthy protocols you mentioned be applied to my specific GL.iNet routers? Thanks for your help!

Hey , great to hear from you! I’m curious, can the stealthy protocols you mentioned be applied to my specific GL.iNet routers? Thanks for your help!

I don’t own an AX1800, so I cannot say for sure. I have made these protocols work on GL iNet routers: AR750S, AR750, AR300M, and USB150.

They can. It’s not something supported out of the box by GL but these devices run OpenWrt Linux ‘under the hood.’

You’ll need to access OpenWrt’s LuCI admin interface (GL GUI → System → Advanced Settings) & have access via SSH. You’d then be advised to post further questions about those protocols on the OpenWrt Forum as that’s beyond the scope of support here.

See the following link for resources:

You’d then be advised to post further questions about those protocols on the OpenWrt Forum as that’s beyond the scope of support here.

Just an FYI:
Submitting GL iNet firmware configuration questions to the OpenWrt forum is normally not appropriate, as GL iNet firmware is not open source, is normally based on very out of dated versions of OpenWrt and is highly customized.

I feel it is always better to use this forum for any GL iNet firmware configuration questions.

Only the SDK & GL GUI Is closed source. Everything else is mainline OWRT… as dated as it is. You know this, @eric .

There’s a 1000 packages just in the utilities feed & 27378 in the full dump; expecting GL to support them all is beyond psychotic.

https://openwrt.org/packages/index/utilities
https://openwrt.org/_media/packages_dump_tab_separated.zip

Upgrade to the latest stable firmware first. Which improves connectivity related to the client listen port.
Please remove listen port for the wireguard client if there is one from keep setting.

This forum has more non-GL iNet people supporting the GL iNet products then it has from GL iNet, so it is the best place to ask about question about GL iNet routers running GL iNet firmware. The OpenWrt forum is where you go to ask questions if you are running generic OpenWrt.

Reading posts on the OpenWrt forum, its been stated more then once that GL iNet should not even use OpenWrt on their marketing material due the proprietary changes it makes to OpenWrt.

No where did I say that GL iNet should support all these packages and using phrases like beyond psychotic is just poor form in a open forum.

1 Like

… which is why there’s also support threads relating to Gargoyle & Turris, right?

So because some anon sh!thead said it, it just must be so. Got it.

That’s what you’re implying in the case of telling OP not to post on OWRT’s forums re: ShadowSocks. Where do you expect him to ask questions & get answers, exactly… from you?

Considering you “feel” rather than think, that means just so very little.