Convexa-B (GL-B1300) Wi-Fi speed 2+ times slower

I agree that using a wifi dongle on a wifi router is absurd… At the same time, I’ve got the same problem with WiFi speeds on this otherwise great little device. To make matters worse, speeds on OpenWrt, which is why I bought the router in the first place, are even worse - about 20% of what they should be!

Has anyone been able to find a solution to this?

Not yet mate, I was promised a screen share session with the tech sometime this or next week to get to the bottom of this (although advised to be refunded in the first place as, and I quote, “I think there must be something wrong and exchanging the product will not solve the problem.”)

That’s not ideal… Good luck!

I’m still within my return window with Amazon so I’m considering that.

Are you able to compare your wifi speeds on stock firmware vs vanilla OpenWrt? Are you seeing a substantial difference there as well?

Based on my tests, the speed was essentially the same with latest OWRT and stock, around 200-250 Mbit/s in a close proximity for Wi-Fi, and around 500Mbit/s on CAT5e/6 wired. Iperf3 was used, alongside with regular internet speed tests like fast.com and speed.cloudflare.com. So, a bit different to your case.

Interesting, I can get around the same wifi speeds as you in iperf3 but only on stock firmware. On Openwrt, they drop by about half.

With Cat6 wired LAN, I get around 900 with both firmware versions, which would seem to suggest that my problem is specifically with wifi. It could be that with the IPQ4028 radio you can’t realistically achieve more than 250-300 but what is still annoying is that I can’t even get that with OpenWrt, whereas you apparently can! What a mess…