Direct wiring to a 12v house battery system

Has anyone found a way to power a GL -MT1300 directly from a 12v power supply without using the 120 to 12 v adapter?

MT1300 only works with 5V.

12V will burn it.

1 Like

You mean a cigarette lighter type adapter? I think the feeling was that if you didn’t use the USB port for powering something else, 2.4A would be enough to power the router.

1 Like

If you’d like to power the router inside your car/van/camper/RV, you’ll need a DC-DC converter.
This will transform 12V DC to 5V DC.
It should at least have enough power to deliver enough for the router and any USB (Modem or Tether) device.

V(olt) have to be the same
A(mpere) sums up.

5V/15W = 3A
5V/7,5W = 1,5A … And so on

You need either the Watt or Ampere to get the consumption.

Thanks. This is what GL Tech Support said when they got back to me.
I proposed this as a solution and apparently it will work.

Note to GL staff about this.
When I chatted with Tech support they said this will work, but as it is from a 3rd Party supplier they cannot guarantee it; which is fair.

However, the only reason I am going with a 3rd Party supplier is that GL doe not have any OEM suppliers for this type of hardware. I suggest that it might be a good business move to develop a relationship with parts suppliers and and promote or make these types of small parts available from your site as “Accessories” - Just a suggestion.

1 Like

The link shows access denied.

Amazon has them and others, cheaper too.

It looks okay from the values.

Konnected 12V to 5V DC USB Type-C Right Angle Step-Down Power Converter, Buck Converter, 15W Output, 3A at 5V USB Type-C Power Supply,

If you take a look at the Beryl Productsite, there is mentioned:

Power Input: Type-C, 5V/3A
Power Consumption: <8.65W

So, 8,68W/5V=1,75A … You are safe.
But you anything plugged to USB should not need more than 1.75A … Some Phones will take a lot more.

From the Kmart Website:

WATERPROOF and sealed, with over-current, over-voltage, over-temperature and short-circuit protection

Looks good. But I would try this under a viewable environment. In my experience these are mass-products and one device or a batch can be faulty.
I don’t want to be a drama queen, but a not noticed fire is not impossible. That it probably one reason, why GL.iNet won’t give any official recommendations.

I’ve looked at https://www.amazon.de/s?k=dc+dc+12v+5v (sorry, German Amazon) and will order this one: https://www.amazon.de/Bauer-Electronics-Spannungswandler-15W-Stromrichter/dp/B09B833LJ4/

Thanks again. Yes I’ll be installing this in the same cabinet where my router and Hotspot will be and they’ll be in plain sight. I don’t really plan on using the USB 3.0 port. This router is just for WIFI as LAN in the RV for various WIFI devices like phones tablets, laptop, security cams, RV house system monitors. The Hotspot provides WAN to the LAN, and also runs off a USB-C power port, so there will be a second on of these adapter installed for it as well.

Sorry bout that.
I updated a link to Amazon.ca, but a simple search for a 12v 5v USB-C adapter will find it as well.

Yes, that is where I ordered mine. Will be testing it out over the weekend and will report back my findings here.

The power conversion always will have a huge loss. It is more loss in converting 230V AC to 5V DC, but also the process 12V DC to 5V DC will produce some unuseable heat.

Why I am writing this? Because sometimes it makes more sense to use one DC/DC converter with two USB outlets, rather than two of them.
Just make sure all consumer won’t need more than the provided amount of A(mpere). And this means peak/under load, not when you take one value with your ampere-meter during an idle process.

Note that there are some with two USB-C plugs, same cost. Actually, two pack versions of the same two plug versions for the same cost.

The cost should be the secondary reason for a decision.
In a RV I have limited power. So the primary reason for a decision should be efficiency.

I in personal would spend the double price for 25% more efficiency, without any second thought.
Unfortunately for these DC-DC converters are more variation in the production quality, than anything else. One batch could be superior, the next won’t eve deliver stable output … And nobody can tell before testing.