Does GL-A1300 (Slate Plus) run as an exit node for Tailscale

Hi all,

So I was planing to travel for a bit and use a portable router to be able to use the hotspot for multiple devices, and also be able to connect to my home devices through a Tailscale tunnel. Will that be possible to do with a GL-A1300 (Slate Plus)?

Thanks
Vin

Not without a touch of work:

Hi @bring.fringe18 - Thatā€™s fine with me, Iā€™m cool with making any changes. I just donā€™t have a context for how to first authenticate with tailscale and then run the gl.inet router as the exit node. Does it have to be through GUI first? Is there a documentation page available for all that?

IDK; I donā€™t use TS. I only know that method is reported to work per the results of others. I assume youā€™re already set up your tailnet & are just looking to get the GL device to act as a exit node.

Hi @bring.fringe18 - Yeah I already have tailscale up and running. I just want to use the GL-A1300 as an exit node.

Then if that method I posted still works it should just be a matter of tweaking a script. Donā€™t forget to add that modified .sh to be including in your backups:

1 Like

Sure thing, Iā€™ll buy the device soon and will post the results of setting up tailscale here in this thread.

1 Like

Right so I was able to set up tailscale with persistent connection as an exit nde. Hereā€™s the steps.

1. Enable tailscale in Applications and authenticate your machine.

1. Ensure the router is the exit node and also disable the expiry of the authentication key.
    <Canā€™t insert more than 1 image>

2. Edit the file /usr/bin/gl_tailscale.sh and add the highlighted parameter to the line 159 after the --reset parameter. The line should look like:
    /usr/sbin/tailscale up --reset --advertise-exit-node --accept-routes $param --timeout 3s > /dev/null

<Canā€™t insert more than 1 image>

1. Restart the router and test if it works once itā€™s back up and running.

Thanks you @tragicshadow for the solution from here.

2 Likes

Heh; @tragicshadow 's method is just a reimplementation of mine updated for the Flint v2 (GL-MT6000) differences in firmware filenames. Itā€™s not quite as clean but hey! As long as it works.

@vin321 ā€¦ so youā€™re welcome. :wink:

(Donā€™t forget to mark ā€˜solutionā€™ to let others know when they search the forum. Have a good one!)

1 Like

I like the sed approach BUT tailscale.settings.exit_node_ip is not set on my server (as it should only be set on the client..). There doesn't seem to be a tailscale.settings that could be used for this purpose so just added a line just before the tailscale up command. This is the combination of the above two solutions:

sed '/timeout 10 \/usr\/sbin\/tailscale up/i\        # Custom param: add --advertise-exit-node on server\n        param="$param --advertise-exit-node"\n' /usr/bin/gl_tailscale >> \
 /usr/bin/gl_tailscale.new && mv /usr/bin/gl_tailscale /usr/bin/gl_tailscale.stock \
&& mv /usr/bin/gl_tailscale.new /usr/bin/gl_tailscale && chmod +x /usr/bin/gl_tailscale

yo the file to edit is /usr/bin/gl_tailscale - I can't seem to be able to update it where my solution is. So here it is:

Edit the file /usr/bin/gl_tailscale and add --advertise-exit-node right after the --reset parameter to wherever you find this line:

/usr/sbin/tailscale up --reset --advertise-exit-node --accept-routes $param --timeout 3s > /dev/null

I'll post the sed command a bit later.

1 Like

This worked perfectly vin321. Thanks.
I went into the apps panel and installed the nano text editor (I used nano_full since my MT6000 has plenty of space). Then ssh'd into the router (you have to enable it first).
nano /usr/bin/gl_tailscale
that'll open the file in nano, then the line vin321 mentioned is nearly at the end of the file for me.
add the option, save (write out), reboot, profit.