Does Microuter-N300 support Cloudflare DNS and Wireguard?

I’m considering Microuter-N300 over the Shadow, because of the extra size & weight savings. But do they offer the same features, other than the physical switch?

The GL-AR300M has two Ethernet ports, 128MB Nand Flash, 16MB NOR Flash and a USB 2 port, where the Microuter-N300 only has a single Ethernet port, 16MB NOR Flash and no Nand Flash or USB 2 port. The AR300M seems to get much better firmware support from the GL iNet engineers, as it is normally one of the first devices to get new firmware, where the Microuter-N300 is normally the last router to get a firmware update.

That said, I really like my N300. It does everything I need done, it is very stable, and as of today it finally has the 3.105 firmware (same as the GL-AR300M), although I have not had a chance to test it. I am running firmware 3.102.

2 Likes

Thanks! Are you able to use Cloudflare DNS or Wireguard with the Microuter-N300? How important is the 128MB Nand flash?

(Edit: looks like N300 has 64MB DDR2, so it is half as much as the shadow, but maybe that’s enough.)

I am using my N300 as my home Wireguard server, by port-forwarding to it from my main home router. It shows it will work as a Wireguard client and it shows it supports “DNS over TLS from Cloudflare”, but as this unit has a dedicated job right now, I have not tried either of these, but I expect they both will work on the N300, as I have used both of these options on other GL iNet routers I own.

For basic router operations, I don’t think you need the 128MB of Nand Flash. I don’t have the Nand Flash in any of my GL iNet routers.

My N300 has 128MB of RAM as shown with the free command:

root@N300:~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        125024      45320      79704        192       6440      17764
-/+ buffers/cache:      21116     103908
Swap:            0          0          0

One of my Wireguard clients is a GL iNet USB150, with only 64 MB RAM. It works fine as a Wireguard client to my N300 and to other Wireguard servers. If you are using Windows 10, the USB on the USB150 port works as a Ethernet adapter to the router, and is faster then connecting using WIFI. If you are looking for something really small, the USB150 is even smaller then the N300, and I really like it. While traveling, I normally have it connected to my Windows 10 notebook, and then use the WIFI for my phone and Kindle. The Windows notebook PC has no problems powering the USB150.

2 Likes

Thank you! That helped me decide. I’ll go with the N300 because size and weight matters to me, but wanted to have the option for Cloudflare DNS & to try Wireguard. It sounds like it fits what I wanted