Does the GL.iNet GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX) support 18TB or even 20TB External HDD via USB?

Hello before buying the GL.iNet GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX) I’d like to know if it supports 18TB or even 20TB External HDD via USB?

And also anyone tried plugging in a Dual Bay Hard Drive Docking Station like this one via USB? can the GL.iNet GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX) detect and do file sharing with 2 HDDs at the same time?

We have not tested a drive of such a large capacity.

If you are plugging in multiple drives, you must provide additional power to the drives.

Well my only purpose of buying the GL.iNet GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX) is to use it as a NAS to access my media files on my 18TB-20TB external HDDs wirelessly from my smart phone and tablet when I travel and of course I know I must provide additional power to the drives as those big external HDDs need external power adapters to work anyway.

What I still don’t know is if it supports HDD of such large capacity like that and if it could detect a Dual Bay Hard Drive Docking Station and do file sharing with 2 HDDs plugged in at the same time. Hope someone could test that.

I have a GL.iNet GL-AR300M and can’t get a 18TB hd running.

root@GL-AR300M:/mnt# mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x0000ffff  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 0  usa_count: 0: Invalid argument
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x0000ffff  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 0  usa_count: 0: Invalid argument
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x00000000  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 0  usa_count: 0: Invalid argument
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x00000000  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 0  usa_count: 0: Invalid argument
$MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 16).
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': I/O error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.
mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 failed: Invalid argument

I had the same plan, wanted to use it as a cheap NAS, but doesn’t seem to be possible.

1 Like

In theory it should work, but in practice probably not. You are limited by the CPU, RAM, OS. If you look at most Consumer and commercial NAS solutions for 10TB+ they use quadcore processors and at least 1Gb ram, if not 2Gb ram.

That sounds rather vague. I’d like to properly understand where the limitation is. To me it doesn’t make sense, because as soon as you have 8TB, I don’t see any added complexity for 16TB. I am not convinced that CPU or RAM matter in this case. Apparently there is a 16TB limit for 32bit systems if you have the default cluster size. So that makes sense to me, as the address space is only 32bit. Solution: Increase the cluster size, then you have again less clusters than 32bit.

Its vague because you did not mention drive brand or how it is formatted. Also before you try to mount the drive, is it actually recognized by the router?

root@openwrt:~# logread -f Then plug the drive in

Take a look at this article

I doubt the drive brand matters, but I tried with a 18TB Toshiba Enterprise and a 22TB WD Elements. Both drives are recognized by the router. Both drives have external power supply.
I tried with NTFS and exFAT formatted from Windows, and I tried to create a fresh GPT table and ext4 partition from openwrt. Totalling to 6 combinations, the result was always the same: gdisk showed GPT having errors. (Yes, even in the case when I only created an empty GPT without any partitions from within gdisk, saved it, loaded it with gdisk → GPT header and backup errornous). No issues on two different Windows PCs with both drives and both NTFS and exFAT.

I read the article you linked but couldn’t find any relevant information in it.

1 Like

I upgraded the AR300M16 to OpenWRT 22.3.0 and the hard disks (partitions) are still not recognized. So unfortunately, we need to conclude: the AR300M16 does not support hard disks >18TB.

1 Like

That’s disappointing, but not surprising. Such large drives did not exist in the AR300M era. It’s probably more to do with older OpenWRT and not running the latest code thereof, because I know the latest builds DO support the large drives (albeit with all the caveats of running a “NAS” on such a low power device…)

1 Like

I was able to run 500gb SSD drive on Flint1 but some of the folders on the drive were without content. When connected to a mac they would be visible. These folders have large file structures and a lot of files in them (100k files). Does that mean that there is some limitation to the number of files Flint can see?

How much power is provided by Flint’s USB3 port?