Enabling cabled connections to tethered GL-MT300N-V2 - wireless connections working

Apologies if this has been covered but searches didn’t turn up a procedure.

Here’s what I’ve done:

• Hooked a network cable from my laptop to the LAN port on the GL-MT300N-V2 (router), logged in via chrome as admin using 192.168.8.1 to access the router.

• Hooked a USB cable from my Pixel 3A (Android 10, recent update) to the router. On the phone, went to settings > Network & Internet > Hotspot & tethering > turned on USB tethering.

When I do that, tethering window appears on the admin webpages for the router with USB0 as the device and I click on Connect - progress circle revolves and then the IP, NetMask, GW and DNS values appear - they are 192.168.42.38, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.42.129 and the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (the DNS settings I set up on the router).

This allows me to establish connections to the wireless network I’ve set up on the router but when I connect network cables to the LAN port, I don’t receive my network settings via DHCP and there’s no connectivity via the cable.

The Network Mode is set to Router.

What settings should I adjust to make the cabled connections behave as the wireless ones?

Thanks for your time.

What happens when you ping 192.168.8.1 and 8.8.8.8 on loptop?

Good call. I re-established the setup detailed above and now, for some reason, I can ping 192.168.8.1 and 8.8.8.8. The replies from 8.8.8.8 took quite some time (15-20 seconds?) to start showing up so. Subsequent pings to the same and other destinations were much faster. I think I have the rudiments of what I was looking for. I didn’t have network-manager (linux) installed on one of my clients so, I just installed that but will have to return to this after some other work. I will report here what I find in the way of DNS for that other wireless client to the mango.

Thanks for your contribution, that spurred me on to the next step and was an appropriate diagnostic.

So the problem you met is: when you use USB tethering, WiFi on MT300N-V2 works properly while LAN does not? right?

I cannot think of a reason for that. But you may need to check another pc on the LAN, maybe.,