ExpressVPN New Router

Anything is possible, whether it will work is yet to be accomplished.

1 Like

Are you connecting wirelessly or wired?

I was looking for a router/switch solution for VPN while using my ISP’s pretty decent router and extender as tri-band access points.

Turns out when contacting customer service at ExpressVPN their router actually tops out on average at 180 Mbps VPN & wired :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

After doing some research I settle on taking a chance with Vilfo VPN router fyi pronounced “Wilfo”. Reviews are mixed for it in the past but In my opinion they’ve got a lot of the kinks out of their OS especially with 1.3.0 which is the version I updated to upon receiving it.

Unlike past reviews, As of November 2022, setup was smooth for me. One of the reasons I purchased this device was The fact that it supports multiple providers not just ExpressVPN. As well as the hardware

Here are some pros and cons I found with Vilfo:

PROs:

-1.4 GHz dual-core Celeron processor(designed for a laptop)
(Note: OpenVPN is single-threaded as stated by the Vilfo (from some light research Lightway is currently single-threaded ))

-website says 16GB SSD for storage but I received 32GB SSD

• 2GB of RAM

-each ethernet port has a dedicated 1 Gbit controller according to the disassembly on techpowerup

-multi-vendor support with custom open VPN support for those not listed

-split tunneling, grouping different devices to separate VPN or non-VPN link group(s), Port forwarding, multiple options for email notifications for events, Killswitch, utilization and bandwidth statistics , etc

-regular OS updates with roadmap and transparency on their site

-real world speed test: over openVPN:

251.6 mbps from Maryland to a New Jersey ExpressVPN server to speed test server

-separate VPN server built-in allowing for more secure access anywhere back to your home network (support for windows, and Linux, and Android)
Note: for me this was a huge plus as I haven’t been hit once since using it as my Synology NAS was getting hit with hundreds of hacker attempts a year. (They do however allow you but do not recommend opening the REMOTE WAN BUT RATHER USING THE VPN SERVER which to be honest is a whole lot easier as you get local area access as if you’re in the house. Services on my Synology that gave me trouble accessing via internet now behave as if I’m locally there. :sunglasses:

CONs:
-Only open VPN & Wireguard
(no Lightway at least not yet as it’s fairly new and hasn’t gained much traction)

-As mentioned even by Vilfo: Wi-Fi sucks and recommend using your old router or a better one as a access point while using this router as the gateway

-Only three LAN ports in one WAN port.
In my case I have a 10 port Cisco small business switch already

-cost $400
lightly breakdown:
The unit: $280
DHL shipping $20
1 yr Home Pro subscription $99
(I think they put the subscription in to support themselves as they update more frequently than most vendors in my opinion.)