Extender mode takes host's DNS

Hi, got a beryl ax recently and have been testing it as a wireguard client using the different connection modes (tethering, extender etc) and I’m having an issue with extender mode. When I use it in tethering mode from my phone, I’m seeing DNS picked up from the upstream wireguard server’s network as I would expect and it prevents DNS leaks. When I use it in extender mode using the connection from another wifi network, it uses the DNS of that network even with wireguard turned on and “no non-vpn traffic” set. Is there a different configuration I should use when I can’t tether or the local wifi is better and I want to have my travel router and downstream devices showing IP and DNS in sync with each other (ie both looking to sites I visit like they’re coming from where my home server with wireguard is)

Do you mean Repeater mode?

Can you show me screenshots and how do you test?

The user interface may show the dns from upstream networks but you need to test your real dns using ipleak.net or dnsleaktest.com

Yes, I meant repeater mode. And I did test on dnsleaktest after seeing the user interface not show my wireguard server’s DNS. I’m not traveling to a different region in the country anymore so I can’t duplicate it exactly, but I will find a different network in my city to test this out at over the weekend and upload screenshots of the behavior I see with this.

1 Like

Not sure what was going on when I first reported. I tried it again recently and the DNS from ipleak and dnsleaktest was as expected - from my home server’s region despite being in another part of the country. I will keep an eye out as I try in the future and see if this happens again, but for now it seems to not be reproducible