Filesystems for Network Storage functions (NAS)

I would like to attach a USB device to act as a NAS. The official documentation says the filesystem format should be NTFS or FAT32. In this post however, it is mentioned that EXT is also an option (which makes sense as OpenWRT is based on Linux and accessing NTFS on Linux will have slow performance).

What are the filesystems available for the NAS option ? Ideally, I would love to use XFS or ZFS

EDIT: I own Brume 2
EDIT 2: I also viewed this post

I use the ext4 format myself, and it works fine.

2 Likes

ZFS is a fantastic file system, but it really likes RAM, so I would not go with it on a system with less then 8 GB of RAM. XFS is a great file system, used by a lot of NAS servers, but so is EXT4, and EXT4 is better supported on smaller LINUX systems.

2 Likes

As others have said, ZFS is a great filesystem, but a bad choice here. Depending on exactly what you’re needing you could also consider F2FS (if you’re running flash and not a spinning disk) or btrfs (if you want some ZFS like features and are willing to live on the bleeding edge)

2 Likes

Thank you all for replying. So it turns out EXT4 works, that is much better than NTFS for network file sharing on the Brume 2. If the GLiNET firmware NAS function can read XFS, I will be happier more, but for now EXT4 is an excellent choice.

Much thanks for all the developers for enabling this feature out of the box!

2 Likes

You should be able to install xfs support by installing kmod-fs-xfs. (You may also need to install xfs-mkfs to create the filesystem). But really, there are reasons you might not want to do this.

2 Likes

What Brume 2 NAS read/write speeds are you getting from EXT4 vs NTFS?

I would not expect that they would be much difference depending on the filesystem type. Performance may be limited by the router hardware and if the router accessed over wifi (through an access point).

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

Hi, I am looking to setup all my linux devices (and WSL on windows) with a shared /home on the NAS. I don’t know how that translate to speed, but it should be reading/writing to small files frequently