Flint 2 (GL-MT6000 ) - bug reports - collective thread

Looks like they will make both…

But I have no idea why they are continuing to use a totally outdated version that is not receiving security updates.

Is just an waste of resources focusing on 21.02

2 Likes

Although they state OpenWrt 23.05 with kernel 5.15, which is their old buggy fork. Meanwhile OpenWrt snapshots use kernel 6.1 and they’ll soon migrate to 6.6 before releasing OpenWrt 24.x.

Even if GL.iNet were to fork OpenWrt 23.05.3 most of the code would be 7 months old.

1 Like

I have no idea why they prefer to waste resources making their own fork.

They should concentrate their efforts in making fancy user-friendly GUI to home users, while OpenWRT makes the hard job.

They should allocate 1-2 software engineers to make a bridge between OpenWRT and GL-iNet, while the remaining team could focus on user-friendly GUI to their products.

4 Likes

They are using an outdated fork of OpenWRT (21.02) because it is the only one compatible with Mediatek’s proprietary drivers. Version 23 of OpenWRT is not yet compatible with Mediatek drivers and there is no prediction of when this will be.

I agree that doing this is an unnecessary effort because the MT76 driver is already almost stable. Although the issue with 2.4 GHz has not yet been fully resolved, packet loss in the open source version is much lower compared to the GL version.

Updates for the MT76 driver are constantly being released: mt76 updates

If the team of programmers at GL.inet decided to help solve the problem with the open source driver instead of insisting on using Mediatek’s closed version, most of the MT6000’s problems would have already been solved.

1 Like

It really does make no sense what GL is doing. OpenWRT even has a 23.05 stable version since a couple weeks ago for GL-MT6000. Due to many models using the same MTK chipset, there is a steady stream of both bugs and fixes going through the pipeline that GL could benefit from. Instead, they are married to this really hard to understand idea of hoping that MTK will somehow fix all WIFI issues with old drivers on an old and unsupported 21.02 SW base. How does that make any sense?

1 Like

Not quite exactly. They plan to drive on two tracks:

So where are all these 4.23.xx firmwares ? because all of the firmwares on the download site are all 4.5.x

5 Likes

All of the “stable” releases pre-date the announcement from 15 days ago. As far as I’m aware, they’re focusing on releasing a stable version of 4.5.8. I assume they’ll shift focus to 4.23.x once that is out of the way.

Updated to 4.5.8r2 and everything seems to be working fine except both of my garage doors are unable to connect to it. I didn’t change any ssid or pw. Tried to reset the garage doors to connect but keep getting this error in logs. Anyone have any thoughts?

Tue Apr 9 20:55:18 2024 kern.err kernel: [ 1708.700806] WiFi@C15L1,WPAValidateRSNIE() 3190: [ERROR] : invalid PMKID !!!
Tue Apr 9 20:55:18 2024 kern.err kernel: [ 1708.707766] 7986@C08L1,APBuildAssociation() 745: invalid status code(1) !!!
Tue Apr 9 20:55:18 2024 kern.notice kernel: [ 1708.714721] 7986@C08L3,ap_cmm_peer_assoc_req_action() 2241: ASSOC Send ASSOC response

Found someone else with this issue on reddit with an Asus router but the solution they got was a “custom” firmware Asus sent them…
https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/19clqnn/myq_garage_door_will_not_connect_to_wifi/

What kind of WPA mode are you using?

WPA/WPA2-PSK on the 2ghz network which is the only one the garage openers can connect to but it won’t connect. It worked perfectly fine on 4.5.4 and I carried the settings over when I upgraded to 4.5.8.

I have over 30 smart home devices all on the 2ghz network and they all reconnected fine after the upgrade, just not these myq garage openers :disappointed:

I can confirm that I’m getting a 150 Mbit download on 2.4GHz / 20 MHz and around 300 Mbit on 2.4 GHz / 40 MHz with the latest OpenWrt snapshot.

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=SNAPSHOT&target=mediatek%2Ffilogic&id=glinet_gl-mt6000

(SYSUPGRADE IMAGE!)

7 Likes

I’ll send you a firmware with some log added later.

Please try this firmware.

https://file.io/wD67PBjsxYFX

That may be your problem right there :point_up_2:
Try a clean setup and see what happens :call_me_hand:

The Intel AX210 hasn’t been affected by speed issues when using OpenWrt snapshots for months though, since I’ve been able to get at least 150 Mbps this entire time when using devices supporting 802.11ax.

Could you please do the following from a normal distance (more than 6ft away).

1. Install the latest OpenWrt snapshot and disable 5 GHz
  2. Set a specific 2.4 GHz channel (e.g. 1), set the mode to AX and set the width to 20 MHz
  3. Perform a speed test and take a screenshot
  4. Set the width to 40 MHz (forcefully) and perform a speed test
  5. Set the mode to N and then perform a speed test
  6. Set the width back to 20 MHz (leaving the mode set to N) and perform a speed test

Then you’d want to put the TUF-AX6000 where your GL-MT6000 was located and perform the above tests again while keeping your PC in the exact same location.

You can also perform speed tests from a phone, but you’d have to put the phone down on a desk so that it’s not moving about too much and having the signal degraded in some way.

1 Like

The file is no longer available. Could you reupload?

https://file.io/lonzSnjTt0Th

So, the garage doors do connect to the router now with this firmware but i lost all access to internet. It also makes all of my devices go through this strange splash page in order to access the internet but after clicking “Continue” nothing happens (still no internet). Had to go back to 4.5.8r2 to get back online.

/etc/init.d/nodogsplash stop