Flint 2 vs Brume2

Hi,

Brume 2 is even expensive than some routers.

Am I correct to say “Flint 2” can do everything that “Brume 2” can do and it has even more features?

I bought Brume 2 a month ago to use it as a VPN Server, but now I’m insterested on Flint 2…

Thanks!

Yeah buy the flint 2

Yeah Flint 2, on paper would be the way to go. Having wifi is always a bonus… but plenty of uses for the Brume… even if it’s a vpn client for certain devices.

Do yourself a favour and just get an Asus which supports Merlin Firmware if you want a home router. My GT-AX6000 has been running with the latest Merlin for about a month now without a single hiccup. This is with 73 clients currently connected, multi WAN with failover, DDNS, NextDNS, guest network, mesh networking as well as running Wireguard VPN client and server at the same time. The only thing I am missing from my GL.iNET setup is Tailscale (the implementation of which remains incomplete on GL.iNET anyway!).

1 Like

I have the same router. I’m not sold on it to be honest. I can’t get it to connect to my AdGuard home on Raspberry Pi. As a result I have to run on the router and memory runs at 94-95% all the time. It drops down if I reboot but I shouldn’t have to do that.

Flint 2 is worth looking at for a fraction of the cost of the ASUS router.

You must be doing something wrong here as the GT-AX6000 does not even break a sweat whilst running AdGuard natively. I have also seen no reports about any difficulties getting it to connect to the server on Raspberry Pi. Are you using the latest AsusMerlin and have you checked SNBforum for advice? Also does your router appear to struggle at all when memory use shows up at the level you have suggested? I just want something that works with consistency at home that is not riddled with so many bugs that GL.iNET have been unable to get rid of over the years.

Yeah I have reached out snbforums. It totally kills my internet when I setup the DHCP DNS to go to the pi… might shoot you a DM though and chat there.

1 Like

Please do, and send me a screenshot of your DNS setup if you can.

Excuse me, but doesn’t sounds a smart solution because Asus GT-AX6000 cost +USD300 and it needs an specific firmware to works as Flint2 that cost 1/3 of this cost and it will works using its original firmware.

And this asus have an even lower grade hardware.

So, what is the point to pay more to get less?

Excuse me but 1) I did not say that you should get that exact model. I just said that you should consider an Asus with Merlin support and 2) you will very quickly realise that “you get what you pay for” really applies here. You will unfortunately rapidly realise that you threw your money in the bin getting an “experimental” router operating a highly unstable firmware for your daily home use very soon after getting the Flint2 or Brume2. Just read the huge amount of threads here detailing various issues including things like random disconnects and crashes which would render these GL.iNET “toys” completely useless for any mission-critical situation. If you do not rely on your home router for security or remote access and you only have a few devices to run and do not wish to keep VPN on all the time, then by all means these routers will be quite fun to play with and to keep on fixing when broken…

It is you money for you to spend how you please but that is the advice you get from someone that has been here for ages and that owns most of the previous GL.iNET most popular products.

Excuse me, but installing an UNOFFICIAL firmware in an Asus router is even more experimental than getting an GL-inet with an official firmware.

Compare the hardware specs of both and you will see the Asus router is overpriced and is easy to know why… Someone needs to pay for the advertising campaign.

Firmware instability is not a problem in a new product. It’s easy to be fixed just by an Firmware update.

I’m not picking sides but isn’t ASUS on board with Merlin firmware?
It’s not like it’s a completely different firmware. Just unlocks features that really the ASUS firmware should do out of the box.

If you think Flint 2 will solve your issue then get it. Ive preordered one. I do get where @Almahadeus is coming from. There are other alternatives. He’s not saying you have to grab one at all. But worth looking at.

1 Like

Drifting way off topic here, but Gl-net and Asus with Merlin (but not Asus without Merlin) have two strong things in common. One is active development and the other is active engagement with a fairly sophisticated user community.

There are two big differences in the software, though. One is Merlin’s ability to have 10 VPN client connections up at once, with specific device or destination direction, and the other is AIMesh.

I’ve spent a fair chunk of change on Asus routers that have failed with heat issues (AC87, AC86) so I think they are more of a crapshoot. Warranty experience wasn’t bad though.

From the specs and the pre-order pricing, the Flint 2 looks pretty damn attractive.

EDIT: I thought of another: Asus is stuck on old kernels and closed source Broadcom, so it will never get Openvpn DCO, for example, and wireguard can be backported into only a few models.

Please keep in mind that Asus is still Asus. It’s not known for good quality, at least not in the networking segment. Might be OK for the normal home user - but for people with IT background this might be a problem.

GL.iNet is also not known for good quality even for home users, based on all the posts in this forum. Personally, I do not care what other people think about quality, which is all over the map anyway. I worked in I.T. my entire career and the Asus routers are more stable and more reliable than any of the Linksys, D-Link, TP-Link and Netgear routers that I have ever used at home.

2 Likes

You only joined this forum for a few weeks and have only spent 1 hour reading posts. I suggest you spend more time reading all the past posts of problems with both new and old products.

This argument is hilarious…
Do you know nobody needs an account to read this forum and I just created an account to write a post?

1 Like

They are all pretty cheap and not reliable. Would not recommend any of them. I can recommend MikroTik, Ubiquiti and LANCOM.

But nevermind. My point was that GL network devices are pretty good compared to the price and the support works well.

In my opinion they work way better than Asus, D-Link and all the others - even if they are still not business products.

1 Like

95% memory usage is normal for Linux. Your router is running as designed. https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

3 Likes

I think that we are just wasting our breath here. Advice given and that is, I guess, all we can do.

1 Like