Flint 2 warms up quite quickly

Hello,

I recently bought Flint 2 (GL-MT6000). I installed OpenWrt 23 on it and after initial problems with PPPoE everything works fine now, but I’m a bit worried about the heat generated by the router.

I have Flint 2 (router in the middle) on a chest of drawers. I store shopping bags in the top drawer of the chest of drawers. My concern now is this: The heat that Flint 2 emits goes through the wood, so the bags are always quite warm. I can’t imagine that this is good for the router, the wood and the bags in the long term. Hence my question: Is this normal? Previously I had a different router from GL.iNet with which the problem did not exist. Is this “dangerous” / harmful for the router? Is there anything that could be placed under the router to reduce the heat?

I can’t imagine how hot your router is!
Is it gotten so hot that it’s warming bags in a drawer underneath? Even though there’s a wooden cabinet separating them???

When I insert an USB Flashdrive to it, I can feel the flasdrive becomes quite warm, but I’m talking about less than 40°C

Did you see the same issue on stock GL-Inet firmware or only since you installed Openwrt 23.05.3?

1 Like

Is it gotten so hot that it’s warming bags in a drawer underneath? Even though there’s a wooden cabinet separating them???

Yes, not hot, but definitely warm.

Did you see the same issue on stock GL-Inet firmware or only since you installed Openwrt 23.05.3?

I can’t say, because I installed Vanilla OpenWrt immediately after delivery.

Flint 2 has a rather large heat sink, which is good. Compared to other routers that I own (mostly Asus), the Flint 2 does not get hotter. It is about the same. Keep in mind that most consumer routers are passively cooled by a heat sink, not an electric fan. I have not tried any of the packages for monitoring temps in OpenWRT, but may do so.

1 Like

May I ask what your temperatures are?

I am currently measuring this with collectd and would like to have a comparative value.

My Flint 2 measures right about 53 degrees C. This is right in line with 2 AX class Asus routers I have. And a lot lower than some of the Asus routers in the past (like the RT-AC68U which had a real burner of a Broadcom SoC the BCM4708 and ran at 80 degrees C). I am mad at GL for their crappy firmware, but the hardware is really good and the heatsinking seems to be well done.