Flint firmware 4.1.0 release 2 is out

Please refer to FAQ · AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome Wiki.

However, I do not recommend that you upgrade. Unless you want to learn it.
Upgrading ADGuard Home will often make it unavailable. This is true even when upgrading from the ADGuard Home page. The result is that users must have the ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems before they can use ADGuard Home properly.
So if you think it’s complicated to upgrade manually, then all the more reason not to upgrade it.

1 Like

So because| you don’t want to provide support for a feature that was a sellng point for my axt1800 you feel that it’s a good user experience to remove it? I see you’ve also removed mesh support from the routers that were sold as mesh routers. If this trend continues you’ll be sure to lose users. @alzhao you may want to rethink some of your recent business decisions before you get to many unsatisfied customers willing to share their experiences with the world

No offensive.

But how to overcome the technical barriers to ahieve the goal?

Mesh support is not available in beta firmwares because of major technical changes as I explained. You can still keep using the old firmware.

Adguard home upgrade keep breaking the whole firmware. It is fair to remove update before solving it.

By removeing the Adguard update available alert you stop most people from even realizing there is an update. The length of time between stable releases of new firmware can be very long resulting in very outdated software that could otherwise be updated. Like I said your going to have angry customers no matter what you do but in my experience the ones that know what is being done will trend to be the loudest voices when leaving reviews and giving recommendations. Where before you got good reviews from people getting customers service, now you’ll get poor reviews by people who feel they’ve been misled by bait and switch tactics

Unfortunately this doesn’t show how to update routers. Command etc are different in the guide you linked. So I’ll ask again, could we please get a guide on how to update Adguard. I’ve got an axt1800 and never had a problem doing the update from Adguard until you removed it…

The OpenWrt Project is a Linux operating system targeting embedded devices.
So you just need to do is follow the linux guidelines and download the correctly architected files.
In addition. The directory where AdGuard Home was installed is /etc/AdGuardHome. It is best to disable ADGuard Home with GL UI.

And which architecture is the axt1800? Also none of the commands shown on that page works for openwrt, not even wget the way it is shown.

You don’t have to upgrade AdguardHome at the moment. With 4.1.0 r3 the latest version is already installed.

I’m not worried now, but as the release cycle slows down so will updates to the adguard

There was a manual here in the forum which explained the update. I will try to find it, and post it later on.
No worries, it’s quite easy.

This post explains the AdguardHomee udpate prettÿ good: How to upgrade Adguard on the Flint, auto and manual? - #9 by AllenJ
Make sure, both services are stopped before overwriting the version on your Flint router with the latest version from the AdguardHome repository.

1 Like

One remark, by th way: a new version of the Flint firmware 4.1.0 v4 is out in the download area.
https://dl.gl-inet.com/?model=axt1800&type=beta
Upgrade went smooth so far for me. No negative observation at the moment.
I made the upgrade via the *.tar file and using the gui’s local upgrade feature.

1 Like

The latest version is 0.107.17(02 Nov) and the version installed is 0.107.8(13 Jul). So, your info is wrong

If you can’t figure that out, maybe you shouldn’t mess with it.

1 Like

I’m just trying to point out all the questions they’ll have to now answer from all the users wondering the same thing. They removed something that worked without problems on the axt1800, and didn’t tell anyone? The good thing about all this is they’ve now posted a guide so it will be easy for everyone to search the forums and find the answer. But hey, thanks for not helping

That has been changed 2 days ago. I am not scanning the Github repository on a daily base, to check the latest version. Indeed, the newer AdGuard version is 0.107.17.
Pre-release is Release AdGuard Home v0.108.0-b.20 · AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome · GitHub

Actually it was stated in another adguard home post if you had searched along with the other questions you had.

Next you will ask “how can I show connected clients in adguard home and not local host”

1 Like

I was being helpful YOU CAN SEARCH THE FORUM POST

Lovely person :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You are just berating people because a feature was taken out of beta that has been causing problems and confusion for the past year.

// Johnex Edited :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@Exile1975

As @K3rn3l_Ku5h stated, Adguard has caused a lot of issues. One of those is that it leaves a copy of the binary when upgrading taking up a lot of space and leaving the router with almost no space left, which means the next time the user tries to upgrade it will fail as it doesn’t have enough space to download. IMO it is better to remove the upgrade feature until Aguardhome fixes the issue or GL makes a fix.

If there is a critical issue with Adguardhome, then GL will upgrade the firmwares with a fix pretty quickly. If Adguardhome has only made small incremental feature upgrades, this is low priority.

As with all things, GL needs to test each version to make sure it does not break the entire router (which has happened). This is another reason to disable auto upgrades in reality.

If you really must upgrade, then as stated before you can do it via SSH, but then you are also expected to be able to:

a) Find out the architecture of your router on your own (hint, it’s in Luci first page)
b) Are able to use basic Linux commands and use SSH to install the new binary
c) Be prepared for random issues with the router that can’t be explained, but are because of your upgrade

As @K3rn3l_Ku5h also stated, if you don’t agree/know the 3 things above, wait until the next GL firmware release.

And ofc. Use the search, this has been asked in the past. @mainufer helped with all links, which he found using the search :sunglasses:

Adguard home has two problems when upgrading:

1. Backup fill the storage. This can be solved or have easy workaround.

2. After upgrade the old config file is not compatible and it is just break. This is really difficult because it is not predictable. The configuration file needs to be compatible with newer version or at least not broken the program completely.