Flint GL-AX1800 Craps the bed with VPN and Adguard Running

Ahh so more like a Spash page with a toggle… ok thanks… Now that I can see how to physically kill the process I’ll start experimenting.

Just seems like a silly bug that does not completely shut down the programs properly so the bit that gets set to tell the program on reboot that the operator had turned it off in its last state. Otherwise how else could you reboot and have it off to begin with.

Hi Chuckster:

When you execute Disconnect to close VPN on the Web page, is there a message indicating ‘success’.

When its working yes… If I start fresh and set up the VPN and connect all is fine. I can disconnect successfully with no errors and then reconnect successfully. I can even try both TCP and UDP profiles with no issue.

Once its been running for a while, I can no longer disconnect. It hangs and then gives me an abort button. Clicking abort does nothing. Then I am stuck at that point until I factory reset. Reboot and Power Cycles are ineffective.

I have tried all sorts of things to try and get this to properly work to no avail. More than a month since latest “and still buggy” firmware release on this flagship router. Any news on any updates with possible fixes?

Check if the following command in SSH works:

/etc/init.d/startvpn stop

If it does, then it may be that the API for GL.iNet UI OpenVpn is not doing the same function. The GL.iNet API is not open source, so I cannot check it.

While my VPN is not running yet, I did execute the command. Here are the results. IT went off the screen shot a bit… but this is most of it.

Hopefully if we keep providing feedback they can get this resolved quicker… Just glad to know its not an isolated instance.

I get a similar output when OpenVPN is not running and I execute the SSH command. I am able to start OpenVPN successfully afterwards.

So NordVPN does not use IPv6 and I see that you have rules to allow the use of IPv6 is what I see right off the bat. Everything seems right up to IPv6 stuff. When I get back to my house I will check. This is SSH correct?

I never enabled IPv6. Factory.

I get the same messages in the output when I run that command.

My /etc/config/glipv6 file contains:

config globals ‘globals’
option enabled ‘0’

The script does a whole bunch of stuff even if not all applies.

Hi Chuckster:

I’ve been testing it for a while, and it’s ok.

Confirm the problem:
1,When NordVPN and AdGuardHome are open at the same time, they don’t work properly?
2, After it have been running for a period of time, NordVPN cannot be disabled?

So they seem to run perfectly fine together… I ran into a ferw instances while surfing that I needed to disable either VPN and or Adguard. That is when things went badly… I am hoping to have a bit if free time to experiment today on some combos of enabling and disabling… At least if it hangs this time I can Putty in to kill the process before reboot.

So again. there must be some bit that gets set to let the router know to start the process on boot or not, So killing the process in putty makes me think the bit will never get set properly and just continue to try and get started with any reboot… Does this make sense?

Why not use the VPN Policy?
You can have it either use IP/domain name OR!!! MAC address.(You can’t have both)
You can then choose whether it uses the VPN or does not use the VPN.
Don’t forget to hit apply for things to take affect.

I use Mac address and exclude certain devices from VPN. (Everything still gets routed with same DNS in my case Adgaurd Home 1.06-3)

Actually I did use the VPN Policy when I was having issues. I added HBO and Google domains to it… However… Ever since I blew it all away. I dont seem to have any issues with HBO or Gmail… My VPN using TCP has been running for a couple of days now and I have not been blocked by anything. Even Prime video works without complaining that I am on a VPN. Makes me supect it was actually the Adguard combo…

That being said I have not enabled Adguard yet. And maybe it was the Adguard that was messing up those streaming services…

As I mentioned, I am going to try experimenting with disconnecting the VPN and reconnecting with UDP and then swap back to TCP… As long as that works flawlessly… I will then introduce the ADguard again… and see if that hoses things…

For example. If I am running both and then decide to disconnect the VPN… Doesnt that affect Adguard? Especially if they are not shut down in the proper order?

Adguard with hijack your VPN’s DNS servers causing a leak and basically any geo-restricted service will be able to tell your actual location.

UDP is the fastest transmission packets with no redundancy. TCP is slower but has redundancy. If you network experiences a lot of jitter or breaks in the service TCP is better. It could also be the default adgaurd settings from 1.04 to 1.06-03 Checked and blocked a bunch of stuff I did not specify.(DNS, allowed services, adult search. etc.)

Also wanted to point out that my Adguard is .106-3 in the factory Flint software. One you fire it up it immediately wanted upgrade to .107.2.

I pointed my Adguard DNS servers back to Nord… But it still made things sketchy.

In what way? Is it still leaking?