Flint Stuck in endless loop on Wireguard start

I installed the last release (4.0.2 release 1) but the problem of wireguard still not corrected, do you have any other suggestions ?

Do you have any info about the the vpn server? Your own or which is the vpn service provider?

Do you have any info about the wireguard you are using?

Also are you using wireguard somewhere has Interent censorship?

I am using TorGuard Wireguard client and also yes I am in a restricted country. But also guessing might be an issue since I’m using the same setting on 2 devices the Flint and Opal not sure if they had anything to do with it. TorGuard have said no it shouldn’t be a problem
Cheers

Restricted country may be the issue.

@alzhao it will be the same issue ecplained here:

It is an issue on GL.iNet side. Can you bring this topic forward?

Yes but I never was able to replicate the same problem here.

Maybe I can help to replicate. If you want to see, we could do an appointment and I share my screen or so.

That will be helpful. But can you send me one config so that I can test by myself?

You got an message :wink:

Hi,
I’m using my own wireguard vpn server on a raspberry pi 4 with pivpn, the thing is I have another router from gl.inet that works perfectly with this wireguard server from first click and when I upgraded to the slate 1800, it goes on an endless loop

For information, I have this release version : 4.0.2 Release

Endless loop like:

Thu Aug 25 15:49:28 2022 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/
Thu Aug 25 15:49:34 2022 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/
Thu Aug 25 15:49:39 2022 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/
Thu Aug 25 15:49:44 2022 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/
Thu Aug 25 15:49:49 2022 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/
Thu Aug 25 15:49:54 2022 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/

?

Trying to verify this with @alzhao. He is very engaged but we didn’t found a solution yet … :frowning:

Here is my endless loop :
“Sat Aug 27 08:52:09 2022 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wgclient’ is setting up now\nSat Aug 27 08:52:17 2022 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/\nSat Aug 27 08:52:23 2022 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/\nSat Aug 27 08:52:28 2022 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/\nSat Aug 27 08:52:33 2022 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/\nSat Aug 27 08:52:38 2022 user.notice wireguard-debug: USER=root ifname=wgclient ACTION=REKEY-TIMEOUT SHLVL=2 HOME=/ HOTPLUG_TYPE=wireguard LOGNAME=root DEVICENAME= TERM=linux SUBSYSTEM=wireguard PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/\n”

it looks like @alzhao 's one
do you have any suggestions ? :slightly_frowning_face:

I tested one that has this problem and it turns out the config is not valid.

Is there anyone that can send me a valid config that has rekey problem.

@alzhao, I’m having the same issue when trying to connect to my WireGuard server running on a Mikrotik router. I have multiple devices connecting to it without problems. Here is the config I have used on Slate AX (I have removed the endpoint address and private and pre-shared keys)

[Interface]
Address = 10.7.0.4/32
ListenPort = 22344
PrivateKey = PRIVATE_KEY
DNS = 10.7.0.1

[Peer]
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = ENDPOINT_ADDRESS:PORT
PersistentKeepalive = 25
PublicKey = md7hAe+31eB8r+lH+j7/XokkSiLD4GTQhPh8hw9u7VA=
PresharedKey = PRESHARED_KEY

Is there a way to get more logging out of it? It would be nice to see what the actual error causing these re-tries is.

Can you check when having the problem, is the router’s timezone, date and time are correct?

I have verified that timezone and date/time are correct.

FYI…I’m using the Flint Router with Wireguard (Not using Torguard) and do not have any problem with Wireguard (Using Surfshark which just went with Router Manual Configurations)…

I am not sure, the config was invalid …

@alzhao I also have the same infinite loop error - “REKEY-TIMEOUT” when attempting to connect to Wireguard from a GL-AX1800 router with firmware v4.0.2. I tried syncing the timezone, rebooting the router, removing all wireguard configs and redownloading them but it still isn’t working. It was working a month ago, but then just stopped letting me connect. Let me know what other helpfull information i can provide.