Fx keys in remote SSH session

I am sorry if this question has been already answered, I found nothing.

I am a big fan of MC (Midnight Commander) but in the remote SSH sessions the keys F1-F5 don’t work (they just generate letters) but F6 for example works as expected. Is there a way to fix that and make the keys F1-F5 usable?

Thanks!

Could you give some screenshot of the key F1-F5(they just generate letters) in remote SSH session to us?

I don’t think the issue is on the routers side. I would take a look on what the SSH client is sending.

On a Linux SSH client, start with the setting echo $TERM
Depending on the used terminal emulator (xterm, terminal, term, …) There are different ways of ‘correct’ the command, send by keypress.

For example, edit the file .Xdefaults with:

XTerm*VT100.Translations:
 <Key>F1: string(0x1b) string("[A")
 <Key>F2: string(0x1b) string("[B")

And execute:
xrdb -merge <~/.Xdefaults

Bit this is a very specific solution, without knowing your setup. It may not work.

1 Like

Hello guys,
sorry for the delay with the answer.

I don’t think the issue is on the routers side. I would take a look on what the SSH client is sending.
On a Linux SSH client, start with the setting echo $TERM …

Wait a second, I am talking about the remote SSH session initiated by GoodCloud.
There are no any problems with running mc from ssh sessions opened from Linux/Windows using putty / remmina with SSH plugin.

Now, to answer the second question:
a) when the remote session (initiated by goodcloud) is opened I am getting the error message:

b) typing F1-F5 generates 4 letters and nothing for F5 (look at the command line promt):

c) pressing F6 works as expected - move/rename:

I will try mc.

What is your router model?

Mt1300 and AX1800 but I don’t think it matters.