GL-AR150 wired repeater

I read through a lot of the topics and I don’t see an answer to my question.

I want to put wifi on my outside balcony, unfortunately, I don’t get a good enough wifi signal to support using the AR150 in repeater mode; I needed to run an ethernet cable outside. Now, I have the GL-AR150 plugged in and it works great, the only problem is, the SSID is different than the main router.

I set the SSID to match but now I have two SSID with the same name. It jumps back and forth just fine but my guests have to enter the password twice.

I would like it so that only one SSID appears and once you put in your password, it will jump back and forth seamlessly.

If the password is the same for both networks, can’t you just enable “connect automatically” (in Windows)?

Otherwise, here is the documentation: Internet Settings - GL.iNet Docs

You can try WDS/Relayd etc.

Glitch

You need to have the same SSID name and password for both as you had, but they also need to have the same encryption settings, or else they won’t roam.

If the AR150 is using DHCP from the other router then the clients will retain their IP’s too, and might not break their connections but that is not 100%. I think both routers would have to have 802.11r for 100% seamless without breaking the connection.

1 Like

" I think both routers would have to have 802.11r for 100% seamless without breaking the connection."

???

802.11 r is the roaming protocol, it is usually used in enterprise systems, so not all routers might support it.

802.11r is fast roaming, not seamless roaming.

Seamless roaming needs a different technology, usually called zero handover.