GL-AR300M not seeing Moto G8 Power (Android 10)


I’ve been a happy owner of a GL-AR300M for a couple of years now. However, I’ve just bought a Moto G8 Power, running Android 10, and now, even though the phone is connected to the router’s USB port, the router is reporting “no tethering device found”. Boo.

Model = GL.iNet GL-AR300M
Architecture = Qualcomm Atheros QCA9533 ver 2 rev 0
Firmware Version = OpenWrt 18.06.1 r7258-5eb055306f / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.196.56128-9112198)
Kernel Version = 4.9.109

When attached directly to a laptop, the Moto tethers correctly.

Any ideas?

Have you ssh’d in and checked dmesg yet? Have you allowed developer mode?

Have you ssh’d in and checked dmesg yet?

Thanks - so that shows that the router is aware of my device after all, because after unplugging the Moto G8, then plugging it back in, I see this:

[  302.549979] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 5
[  320.672049] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-platform

Have you allowed developer mode?

Do you mean on the phone? If so, then yes…I used that to set USB Tethering as the default.

Any further help greatly appreciated…

Huh. What does lsusb show? Does it recognize what the device is? (Afraid I’m not 100% familiar with the AR300 packages, I have a 300M, and a 300N-v2).

Unfortunately, the AR300M doesn’t appear to have lsusb installed. I’d gladly run something like opkg update && opkg install usbutils (which, I gather, installs lsusb), but unless I can figure out how to divert traffic through my MAC, I’m going to struggle to get the router online. I didn’t consider that - sorry! This might have to wait until I can use my daughter’s Samsung J8 to tether since that works okay. Unfortunately, she’s not back until Monday week.

Meanwhile, opkg list-installed | grep usb shows this:

kmod-rt2800-usb - 4.9.109+2017-11-01-9
kmod-rt2x00-usb - 4.9.109+2017-11-01-9
kmod-usb-acm - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-core - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-ehci - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-net - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-net-cdc-ncm - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-net-huawei-cdc-ncm - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-net-ipheth - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-net-rndis - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-net-sierrawireless - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-ohci - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-serial - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-serial-cp210x - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-serial-option - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-serial-sierrawireless - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-serial-wwan - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-storage - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-uhci - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb-wdm - 4.9.109-1
kmod-usb2 - 4.9.109-1
libusb-1.0 - 1.0.22-1
libusbmuxd - 1.1.0-2
rt2800-usb-firmware - 2017-09-06-a61ac5cf-1
usb-modeswitch - 2017-12-19-f40f84c2-1
usbmuxd - 1.1.1-4

Anything obvious missing?

Weird. usbutils is a standard package. Try installing that.

Try installing that.

I can’t very easily - see above.

Unless someone has some magic at hand that can get the Moto G8 working, I’ll report back on Monday week, when I can get the router online using a phone that works (after which I can install lsusb)

You did a list-installed, not a list of all packages. Try opkg install usbutils unless you have less than 3MB of space, you should be fine.

You did a list-installed

I know! I am trying to give anyone able to help as much information as possible.

Try opkg install usbutils

/sigh - I’ve said a number of times that I can’t do that quite yet. Thanks for suggesting again, though.

opkg list-installed | grep usb got lsusb installed on my B1300. But it still won’t show a Samsung S8 connected to it as a tether.

I’m using the same USB cable that worked on a Slate.

And lsusb DOES show the S8:
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 04e8:6863 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd

If I connect a Samsung S22 the B1300 does see it as a tether.