GL-AR300M16 wifi drops when a device connects

Hello All,

I need some assistance, I recently purchased a GL-AR300M16 in order to connect to my VPS/VPN server using wireguard for helium mining.
The GL router was connected to main router via wifi and the miner via LAN but now it keeps disconnecting every few minutes.
GL router distance to main router is 2m.
I factory reset and connected the GL Router to the main router using LAN, now when I try to access the wifi interface from another device the device establishes connection and lose it after seconds, it seems like the GL Router is rebooting…

I tried by updating the firmware, the same.
I tried the beta firmware, the same…

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

1 Like

Is your AR300M16 connecting to your VPS/VPN using a VPN protocol? If so, which protocol are you using? There have been some reports of memory leaks causing out of memory conditions in some releases, that can cause the router to reboot. It would be helpful to know the version numbers of the firmware versions you have tried. Have you loaded any additional packages on your router?

Are you using a 2 amp USB supply. There have been multiple posts to this forum stating that you NEED a 2 AMP supply, so I would suggest you try a different 2 AMP USB supply, just to rule out a possible bad USB charger. That said, I am using a 1 AMP supply on my AR300m16 without issues. As this is a new unit, there is also the possibility that the unit is defective, and you will need to return it.

Hello Eric, thanks for your response.
The vpn protocol is wireguard.
I have tried 3.211 and currently running the 3.212(beta) , firmware didn’t make any difference.
Actually I was using 1Amp adaptor…thanks for the 2Amp hint(I hope it will not fry).
After some trial and error I concluded that the issue starts when two interfaces work together, Lan & WIFI. Now I am running only wifi with the GL close to the main router and the miner also on wifi, no more reboot since 7hours…
Can you run both in parallel? i.e. connect to main router via wifi and device through lan? Or vice versa…

Thanks!

On all the GL iNet products I own that have both WIFI and Ethernet, I have been able to use both at the same time, but I will say that using both WIFI and Ethernet draws more power, which could point to a power supply issue.

On the 2 AMP charger, I would only use a charger capable of supplying 2 or 2.4 AMPs at 5 volts using a USB-A to Micro-USB cable. Some USB C chargers can output more then 5V, if the device requests it, and I just don’t trust connecting chargers capable of supplying more then 5 volts to older GL iNet products.

All chargers should say, probably written in very small letters, the maximum voltage it can supply. You only need to worry about the voltage, as the router will limit the current to the amps it needs.

Can you give a little details about this part?
The miner connect to the LAN port of AR300M16, AR300M16 connect via wifi to your main router. Is this all?

I cannot see how you modified to wifi only because you need to connect the miner to the LAN port anyway.

Hi,
“I cannot see how you modified to wifi only because you need to connect the miner to the LAN port anyway.”
Not really, I am using a sensecap M1 that can connect through WIFI.

“The miner connect to the LAN port of AR300M16, AR300M16 connect via wifi to your main router. Is this all?”
This is the setup that never worked. Most probably like Eric explained due to poor power supply. Now it is connected on the USB port of the main router and since it works only on WIFI it’s stable.

Right. Seems this is the problem.