GL-AR750S delivered!

It depends if you choose express shipping or standard shipping.

Actually, 1st and 2nd waves were produced at the same time. But 3rd wave needs more time to produce because of the increase in quantity. We expect that the buyers from the first two waves will give us feedback to update the future firmware, e.g. Fixing language grammar.

Still waiting on my 2nd-wave unit to arrive … if you guys would have slipped it into a bottle and set it adrift in the Pacific I’ll bet it would have been here by now :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion. But I think I need to provide this to the logistics company and he can save a huge cost.

Received this one 3 days ago and it’s amazing. I already have the regular 750, but man those antennas and that color turned me on that much!
Anyway, I traveled with it yesterday and everything worked pretty well at two airports. I used it with OpenVPN and Wireguard, both from Mullvad and also a personal VPN server.

First off, kudos to you for the great interface and Wireguard support. It is just what GL Inet needed most! I have 4 of your mobile routers and saw a lot, but this is perfect.

Also the really really positive things I noticed:

• When you use it with a HiLink LTE stick (aka ethernet) and use tethering it will recognise an IP conflict. By default the routers IP is 192.168.8.1, which is the same that the LTE modem would use by default. The new interface offers to change the ip range of the router in that context. It’s very well thought through

However there are a few buggy things I observed as well:

• When using the the button toggle with Wireguard you cannot change the server. This is not ideal, because when I use the brilliant automated mode for Mullvad Wireguard it will automatically use the “AU1” location. To use the button in a way it makes sense I had to remove all configurations and just add the one I wanted first.
  • The mobile page breaks a bit with longer wifi names → https://i.imgur.com/6tbC8vk.png by the way, I shared this paid inflight for free. Great stuff! :smiley:

I did have more, but already forgot it. Is there a place like Github, where I could file bugs, that I observe? I feel this place is not very efficient for this kind of feedback.

Cheers

I’m heading to Taiwan on Sunday so I’m looking forward to giving this the first big test. I’ve got OpenVPN, Wireguard, and Shadowsocks servers set up at home in the US so I’ll be able to put them all through comparisons.

Got it last night (Aug 30th). Set it up, upgraded it (3.002) and using it this morning- so far, so good. I have another upcoming hotel stay next week so will give it the big test then.

Really like the 3.0 UI, too! I’ll have to try out the Wireguard server I’ve got on my home NUC with it once travel dies down a bit.

Hey lostdog. When you connect it to public hotspots then sometimes you have to disable “DNS Rebinding Attack Protection”. Just as a hint, because I was a bit puzzled at first. It does make sense, but with public hotspots it’s sometimes crazy.

I ordered on July, 23rd, got the shipment confirmation on August, 23rd and got the package delivered yesterday (August, 31st). Shipment with only 8 days was much faster than the predicted 3 to 4 weeks. I was surprised how fast this went. I recieved mine without a box surrounding it, but that is no problem to me. The box usually disappears in the trash. :stuck_out_tongue:

So far I have this questions:

• Older routers of GL.iNet were mainly focussed on developpers and modders as I remember from the time spend on the old version of this forum for my AR150. I definitely wanted to try the to use the I2C pins to drive a little OLED screen. At first without any modifications to the case. But to reach the pins I guess I have to remove the rubber feets to reach screws to unscrew. But unline with the AR150 at that time there was a a warranty card enclosed with the package which states Any damage to the router caused by modifying the PCB, components or case will render this warranty null and void. How to deal with this? One of the reasons to buy the AR750S was the ability to utilize the header pins but I can’t reached them without voiding the warranty I think… I believe this was never an issue with the AR150 as long you let the case intact.
  • I want to connect a Huawei E1750 USB 3G modem to the AR750S. It seems to be being recognized (the USB modem parts popup at the default admin panel) but I can’t enter a APN. There is a rotating circle in fron of it and all entered texts disappears immediately. I think apart of finding the right USB interface this is the only thing which prevents me from setting up a 3G connection. How can I solve this?

Your warranty only covers normal use. If you open the case and solder anything to the board, then you are no longer covered by any warranty, since it would be impossible for GL to see if it was your fault, or a hardware fault, if you have done any modification.

This has always been the case for all routers.

The pins are there for DIY sure, but then you also accept that you are on your own if you blow the board or something dies while tinkering.

I’m really excited to have received my unit, initial testing has been very promising. haven’t had anything ‘real-world’ for wireguard just what i’ve tested here in my home lab. This unit ticks almost EVERY one of my boxes.
The only possible improvements I can see are adding USB 3.0 I know that was a power issue and i’m wondering if going with a USB - C power connection if we can’t keep the small form factor and add USB 3.0 … (sorry i’m always dreaming!)

the 750S will be my go-to travel companion for sometime i’m sure. Thank you GL-INET for another amazing product!

For the unable to enter APN problem it is a bug. Fixed.

You can try the most updated firmware. http://download.gl-inet.com/firmware/ar750s/testing/

I just installed the testing firmware with the filename gl-ar750s-3.002-0830.tar, but the issue with the APN is still there. I still see a rotating loading icon and everything I enter in the APN field disappears… :frowning:

Does anyone know where I can find a bare OpenWRT image that I can flash on this device?

I tried running sysupgrade but got this:

$ cd /tmp
$ wget https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-gl-ar750s-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
$ sysupgrade -n openwrt-ar71xx-generic-gl-ar750s-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Invalid sysupgrade file
Image check 'platform_check_image' failed

Any advice?

I received mine today - I didn’t get a fancy box though - it was just in a bubble-wrap envelope. The unit is nice though. I already have a few GL-inet devices and they’ve all performed really well. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent 4G USB dongle (I’m in UK).

Yes, same for me with testing firmware.

Let’s clarify the firmware of AR750S.

AR750S has two flash, Nor 16MB and Nand 128MB. The factory firmware uses both flash, putting kernel in Nor and Rootfs on Nand. While OpenWrt only has a firmware for the Nor flash, due to that they don’t have the Nand driver.

So, if you want to use Openwrt firmware, you will loose Nand and only have Nor.

The correct way to flash a Nor firmware is using mtd directly. Please refer to openwrt mtd document. Just write the whole bin file to the original kernel MTD.

But you are suggested to use uboot failsafe. Upload the Nor firmware to the Nor firmware file box.

1 Like

Hey guys. I’m planning to buy one of these. I will be using this mainly in wireless repeater mode, connected to a 100Mbps wifi line over 5GHz. Will be connected to mullvad most of the time. What speeds can I expect (openvpn and wireguard)? I have a 300Nv2 and I never got speeds more than 10Mbps. I’m really hoping some decent speeds on this new one. Also is there anything else I should know before ordering?

If you use openvpn, don’t expect higher speed.

Pls use wireguard, which goes up 50Mbsp +