GL-AR750S-Ext VPN

I just purchased my slate and I’m loving messing around with it. I am wanting to setup a VPN back to my home router (Mikrotik CCR) and bridge the ethernet segments together to make it appear like I’m on my home lan when I’m out on the road. I am currently using an Amplifi Teleport hardware travel router but it is somewhat problematic and has been discontinued. I’m not sure what the best option is for setting this up on my new Slate, but the teleport once connected to the Internet forces all traffic including DHCP through the tunnel (they are using tinc) and I pull a DHCP address from my house and it’s like I’m sitting right there. That’s the functionality I’d like to replicate. Looking for suggestions on the best way to do that.

TYIA!

1 Like

You teleport seems doing a vpn bridge.

In AR750s, we used openvpn with NAT. But you can still access the Internet and nobody knows you are not at home.

You are correct it’s doing bridging and that’s the functionality I want to replicate with my new GL-Inet unit. What would be the best way to do it? I want everything bridged back to my home lan.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to replicate this functionality with my slate?

From Googling it appears that the Microtik CCR (you haven’t given an exact model) will supports OpenVPN (but doesn’t support Wireguard) from the video here.

If you can set the Microtik router up as the OpenVPN server then you can setup the slate as an OpenVPN client (for all the devices attaching to it).

No experience with Mikrotik, but looks like it should be possible.

We are adding vpn bridge to the router now.

1 Like

Do you have an ETR? I’d be more than happy to test. I have my Mikrotik config setup and ready for a TAP (Bridged connection) and a config file generated. FYI for Mikrotik they require you to put a passphrase on the client key, I’ll regenerate without the key if need be but I’d prefer to have that incorporated if I could make that request to have the client on the slate have a way to automatically pass that.