GL-AX1800 WPA 2 CCMP or TKIP?

Hello,

I have the Flint GL-AX1800. Good performance all round. Could someone enlighten me whether the WPA 2 Wi-Fi security option use CCMP or TKIP ciphers? I have tried to ascertain which is being used by accessing the LuCI interface, but there I am shown that the device uses no encryption, whilst the GLI.NET interface simply shows that the Wi-Fi uses WPA2-PSK without showing which cipher is being implemented. For security purposes CCMP is preferable. Thank you in advance.

Luci interface Wi-Fi information is not that correct, please refer to GL-iNET interface as the info source.

Thank you for your reply cafebug. As stated in my original message,

Blockquote whilst the GLI.NET interface simply shows that the Wi-Fi uses WPA2-PSK without showing which cipher is being implemented.

You can log into SSH and check the setting in /etc/config/wireless.

It should be using CCMP.

I have this line for my SSID in my /etc/config/wireless on my GL-MV1000W, which I explicitly set in LuCI:

option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
2 Likes

To elaborate on the information that @wcs2228 has given for those who are uninitiated with OpenWRT configuration editing:

I was able to access the /etc/config/wireless directory by using WinSCP (a free downloadable Windows application). To use gain access to your router simply follow these instructions:

1. Download WinSCP, get the non-beta Installation package or portable executables and install or unzip them on your Windows client

2. Start WinSCP.exe on your Windows client, WinSCP’s login window will pop up

3. Click on New Site on the left, then enter your OpenWrt device IP address (192.168.1.1) on the right side into Host name, keep the default port 22. In User name enter root, in Password, enter your root password (or leave blank, if you have not set a password yet)

4. Click the Login at the bottom of the Window.

5. Done. You now have an Exlorer-like view of your OpenWrt file system.

Editing OpenWrt config files with WinSCP’s integrated GUI editor.

1. To edit an OpenWrt config file with WinSCP’s GUI-based editor, just right-click the file in WinSCP and select Edit from the context menu.

After editing the option as suggested by @wcs2228 , I accessed the GL.iNet router user interface and the Wi-Fi security option changed from WPA2-PSK to WPA2/WPA3-PSK/SAE. The feature might therefore be baked into GL-iNet’s GUI and you could activate the CCMP cipher by simply selecting the WPA2/WPA3-PSK/SAE option when asked what form of security you want your Wi-Fi to use. All my WPA 2 only wireless devices seem happy to connect this way.

2 Likes