GL-iNet AX1800 OpenWrt firmware

Check two posts up, its already done bud.

Simply install Debian or Ubuntu server copy the script to it and then chmod a+x glinet.sh and run it. It does everything for you.

Just make sure you login as root do a apt update && apt upgrade -y && apt install sudo -y followed by usermod -aG sudo <your username> then reboot and then run the script under the user you added to sudo.

1 Like

Right uploading the files to the mirror, this will take 2 hours to do as its a full compile of everything.

If you have downloaded the R16273 build from Mega.NZ after 2 hours 30 minutes from this post just run an OPKG update to grab the new list of files.

Also head over to OpenWRT forum to thank @Gustavargas for donated resources for this project, and respect his box like you have mine.

I have sent this message via

There is a bug in OPKG as the firmware images just made with the full compile crashes.

Please head into Software - > Configure OPKG and change

dest root /
dest ram /tmp
lists_dir ext /var/opkg-lists
option overlay_root /overlay
option check_signature

To

dest root /
dest ram /tmp
lists_dir ext /var/opkg-lists
option overlay_root /overlay
#option check_signature

Also remove the // from r16273//packages to r16273/packages .

It should then work after that.

4 Likes

OPKG adjusted. Repository working after adjustment on my side. Build seems stable. Thank you for the hard work.

1 Like

No problem, just trust my luck. I made 3 builds before hand to test for consistency all of them worked fine re-ran the compile and the 4th happened to cause a reboot loop.

If you notice bugs please report them, I have noticed that although UPNP is working the firewall rules for upnp is missing not sure why so looking into that.

Will do.

I do not use UPNP, but hopefully someone here who has issues will notice this thread.

Hi good day i installed your firmware which ran pretty well. When i try to revert to factory firmware my router seemed my router is bricked. Whenever i get into uboot, on clicking the firmware tab, the router powers off. if i reboot router, it does not give out ip address, router in autoconfiguration mode. Can you advise on how to get it working again? Thanks

Set your IP manually to 192.168.1.66 or 192.168.1.2 as Uboot doesn’t have DHCP. Also if you ever need to go back to stock you use Uboot and not LUCI to do so.

1 Like

I would like to expand on this excellent advice by referring @ugooh to GL-iNet’s guide to debricking their routers: Debrick via Uboot - GL.iNet Docs (gl-inet.com)

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I was doing it wrong, i was clicking on upload firmware without choosing a firmware file first. I have been using uboot to recover my router for sometime now. Guess i had my head in the cloud Sorry for the false alarm. Working perfectly. I like your firmware by the way. Thanks

I was doing it wrong, clicking on upload firmware without choosing a firmware file first. I have been able to recover it now using uboot. Thanks

2 Likes

Heya.

Was just wondering what exactly the advantages of flashing ur firmware vs gl-inet’s default was.

I’m aware of the newer OpenWRT version, but that’s about it😄

Is it recommended for a “beginner” to flash this image?

Firmware is less bloated however not beginner friendly.

1 Like

You will loose the GL UI and official support. If something goes wrong with the router then you would have to ask on the OpenWRT forum for help. GL only offers support for their firmware.

3 Likes

This is true. For someone who is a Windows pleb like me, it took some time to somewhat understand how to use OpenWRT. OpenWRT became a lot more accessible with their Luci GUI.

That said, “vanilla” OpenWRT also has advantages over the more user friendly GUI of GL-iNet’s implementation:
a wider variety of compatible software to use. I, for example, use OpenWRT’s implementation of dns-over-https (if that sounds foreign, that is okay), a package that is not available on GL-iNet’s software repository without using AdGuard; available add-on software is, generally speaking, more up-to-date. This means that OpenWRT’s implementation might have a version that is either more stable, has more advanced features and/or is more secure.
For ease of use though, GL-iNet’s interface is preferable for newcomers.

2 Likes

Basically TL;DR of it all is.

GL-iNet’s firmware comes with support and everything needed for a beginner to run a network safely with some packages available but no all of them, in some cases this also means a Version of OpenWRT be it stock or Qualcoms version being lower then currently out. It tends to be more stable.

OpenWRT Stock firmware comes with no support from GL-iNet but only OpenWRT’s forum, if its a snapshot it means its bleeding edge which can be buggy and unstable at times unless its a branch compile of say 19.07, 21.02 , 22.03 which even then can be unstable too with some bugs.

MY builds are based on snapshots aka the Master branch which is why one compile run will compile without issue and then the next one will simply fail or be missing wireless.

In an update way, i have managed to get it to compile again (For got to sync the bin directory before deleting the files), however give me chance to test the updated script. If this compiles (With everything) then the issue has been down to my script trying to use all cores at once which means i will add a -3 to the nproc part of the script, this will make it take longer to compile the firmware but should make it better overall.

1 Like

Great news!

Later this week the snapshot for firmware V4 will release, for the AX1800.

It will have new features, and run OpenWRT 21.02!!:tada:

3 Likes

Out now!

5 Likes

Some good changes in the BETA. Will keep my eye out for future releases when packages such as Smart Queue Management is working. For now I am keeping @solidus1983’s build.

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words there, i am still compiling the firmware have been since last release trying to get the firmware to compile with working SQM and Wireless has been a PITA. But once its done everything should work proper without any needs of editing.

As for the Beta i have tested it today and noticed that unlike 3.x branch it allows me to use my custom firewall setup for DNS hijacking to the Pihole servers i run with unbound which i was happy about however there wasn’t any SQM at all, yes there was QoS but no SQM which is a shame.

Will update the thread once new build compiles and has been tested to work with wireless.
Then hopefully i can sleep more then 2 hours after.

1 Like

Right as the gl-intra repo has kernel 5.4 on it I will try to build one more Kernel 4.4 build before heading over to 5.4, At the same time i have streamlined the scripting a bit better too.
If you want to use Kernel 5.4 uncomment them lines and comment the lines above it and save before executing it.

#!/bin/bash
## Update and install required packages for Gl-Inet Intra Cross Compile ##

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y 
sudo apt install -y build-essential ccache ecj fastjar file g++ gawk subversion swig time \
gettext git java-propose-classpath libelf-dev libncurses5-dev \
libncursesw5-dev libssl-dev unzip wget binutils bzip2 diffutils flex perl clang \
python3 python2.7-dev python3 python3-distutils python3-setuptools \
xsltproc zlib1g-dev sshpass dos2unix zip patch curl \
make diffutils gcc grep libc-dev libz-dev rsync docbook2x util-linux \
perl subversion gcc-multilib g++-multilib git-core ocaml sharutils re2c qemu-guest-agent \

## Unsetting SED ##
unset SED

## Clone Intra ##
git clone https://github.com/solidus1983/gl-infra-builder.git
cd ~/gl-infra-builder
#python3 setup.py -c config-wlan-ap.yml
python3 setup.py -c config-wlan-ap-5.4.yml  ## For Kernel 5.4

## Complete Intra Setup ##
cd ~/gl-infra-builder/wlan-ap/openwrt
#./scripts/gen_config.py target_wlan_ap-gl-ax1800 solidus1983
#./scripts/gen_config.py target_wlan_ap-gl-ax1800-5-4 solidus1983
./scripts/gen_config.py solidus1983