GL.iNET GL-AR300M16- Ext Mini Travel Router

I recently purchased GL-AR300M16- Ext router to repeat the wifi signal from outside the building into the building as the wifi speed was significantly reduced by the building. Connecting my phone directly to the wifi outside the building I would get 60-80mbps, inside the build would be a lot less and sometimes disconnect.

Unfortunately the new wifi speed with the repeater outside the building is not much better. Installing the GL-AR300M16- Ext and connecting to the repeater I only get around 6-8mbps. Is there a reason the repeated signal is so much slower than connecting to the AP directly?

I can get 10-12 Mbps on my GL-AR300M16-Ext in Repeater mode. This mini router only uses 2.4GHz wifi and 802.11b/g/n, which is not very fast. Furthermore, the throughput is cut approx. in half because the router’s single wifi radio cannot transmit and receive at the same time, so has to “take turns” between transmitting and receiving data. Your actual speed depends on the channel, bandwidth, TX power settings and how much 2.4GHz congestion around your location.

Your phone and the outside wifi likely uses 5Ghz wifi and 802.11ac, which is much faster. However, 5GHz does not penetrate walls and travel distances as well as 2.4GHz.

You may get better speed with a dual-band 5GHz/2.4GHz router, with 2.4GHz to outside wifi and 5.0GHz inside, but hard to tell without testing.

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

1 Like

As above you are sharing one band to WISP and WLAN at the same time so this will be part of your slower speeds. You May get better performance with a dual band device and WISP one band and WLAN on the other