GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - Different SSID based on WiFi frequency

Hi
I’m evaluating to buy the GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router.
Before buying I need to understand what follows:

• Is it possibile to have 2 different SSIDs for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency?
  • If multiple SSIDs are possible based on frequency, is it possibile to have a different configuration for each SSID? That is, can the 2.4 GHz SSID be used for a direct internet connection (no-VPN) and the 5 Ghz one for an OpenVPN connection?

Thanks fopr your support. LP

Yes you can have 2 different SSID’s, and you can also do things like connect the 2.4ghz to a hotel wifi, and have the 5ghz for your local devices for maximum speed.

Having VPN for just one SSID is more complicated, instead you can use the VPN Policies to only use the VPN for specific devices or sites/IP’s.

You can check out all the features and how they work here:

1 Like

Thank you very much Johnex for your reply.
Very interesting for me being able to use policies based on specific device.
Bye. LP

I’m sorry I don’t agree with you here Johnex, buts that’s actually a good thing. you see with vanilla openwrt assigning a vpn to an ssid while still allowing local internet access IS more complicated. but gl-inet makes it easy with their vpn policy :wink:

Assuming you’re not using your guest network wouldn’t this be the easiest way to setup a seperate VPN wifi network? (Haven’t really played with it. Not quite sure from the documentation if “Use VPN for Guest Network” turns it on for the guest network and you don’t need the explicit IP range or not or if you’re better to turn this button off an put the explicit IP domain for the Guest network (192.168.9.x) ?!? ).

Thanks for volunteering to write a guide :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks guys for your nswers. I ordered my ‘GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router’ this morning and tomorrow I’ll start to play with it … Hope being able to put in practice your suggestions. Bye. LP