GL.iNet GL-MV1000 (Brume), NordVPN using OpenVPN & Low Speeds

Hey Guys,

So, I’m trying to use my GL.iNet GL-MV1000 (Brume) to connect to a UK NordVPN server, from Australia, so that I can plug my PS4 into it and watch Sky Go. Frustratingly, NordVPN only provides config files for OpenVPN so I’ve tried setting up both UDP and TCP OpenVPN connections. Without the VPN running I get 100mb per second on my broadband connection so no slouch. However, on connecting to the NordVPN server using OpenVPN, that is significantly reduced to around 15mb per second. Sky Go works on the PS4 but is ridiculously pixelated and unwatchable.

I bought the GL.iNet GL-MV1000 (Brume) as it’s sold as an edge computing, fast VPN server. I know OpenVPN is pretty expensive and I’m a long way from a London server (based in Australia) but given I have a 100mb line, am I right to be disappointed that I’m only getting around 15mb per second with the VPN connected?

Is not possible that there is a problem with NordVPN as opposed to your Brume? Have you tried another VPN service?

I’ve tried with both NordVPN and ExpressVPN (2 of the biggest VPN service providers) and get exactly the same results

Can you test what speed you get when running the NordVPN app on a PC, Mac or tablet connected to the GL-MV1000, but not running OpenVPN)? Also, turn off any VPN policies that may increase CPU load.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet