GL.iNet router behind the main router as a VPN server

Hello everyone! I have a question, can you help me and tell me how to configure the GL-iNet router on which I would enable the VPN server. The GL.iNet router will be connected via a LAN cable to one of the LAN ports of the main router and I would like to be able to access the internal network after getting to the server, e.g. Wireguard. I have a public IP, what should I configure to make it work? GL-iNet routers have DDNS, so I would like to connect using it. Please help

Plug GL-iNet WAN to main router LAN.
Cnfigure port forwarding to GL-iNet WAN and for the configured VPN server port on the main router (most likely UDP, not TCP).

Make sure the public IP of the main router is mapped to a DDNS hostname, that will be refreshed. The GL-iNet DDNS will work through a main router, if there is no active block.

1 Like

I used a GL.iNet Brume 2 VPN router using version 4.x of the GL.iNet firmware like this.

Since the Brume 2 doesn't have wireless, I first connected to the Brume 2 LAN port to my Windows computer and connected to it's 192.168.8.1 admin page. I then setup the routers security page to enable all of the remote access control features so that I could access the Brume 2's admin page on it's WAN port. Then I connected the Brume 2 WAN port to my primary router's LAN network, and I setup a DHCP reservation on my primary router's LAN for the Brume 2's WAN mac-address so that the Brume 2 would always get the same LAN IP address which I used for admin and VPN access to the Brume 2. I then enabled the Brume 2's Dynamic DNS application feature and it registered the external IP address of the primary router's internet connection IP address on the glddns.com domain. I'm not sure if other GL.iNet routers will do this when connected behind another router, but the Brume 2 did. Then I setup port-forwarding on my primary router to allow the Brume 2's VPN server's configured local port to be allowed through the primary router to the reserved IP address of the Brume 2's WAN port.

Thank you very much for your help guys, both posts helped a lot. As for the GL.iNet router, it was SLATE_AX. @DaWeav - Can you tell me what VPN speeds you get on your Brume2 router?

Please check if does the public IP of the main router work right, then add a forwarding rule for forward the GL router VPN server in the main router, more detail steps please refer our docs guide:

The speed of VPN base on your WAN ISP I/O bandwidth, VPN protocol base on router performance (mainly server, as well as client but not mainly), etc.

Their published VPN specs for the Brume 2 are impressive.

However, I cannot confirm their VPN speed claim since I'm limited by the ISP providers speeds. So depending on whatever service provider (open WiFi, cellular wireless, or other) that I'm connected to remotely, my home internet is limited to 20mbps upstream which is the maximum I'll get coming back to me remotely. However, my remote sending speeds to my home network are sometimes better since my home internet has 350mbps downstream, but it depends on the remote service providers available upstream bandwidth which are terrible at best.

So I'm using the OpenVPN server instead of the faster WireGuard VPN server since I'll never get those speeds, and since I like the additional security of the username/password authentication offered with the OpenVPN feature on the router. Something I have, the VPN config file certificate, and something I know, the username/password. Not to mention that I could not get the WireGuard clients I tried on iOS to connect to the WireGuard VPN server anyway, and the Android WireGuard client I tried wasn't much better. At least the OpenVPN clients on Android, iOS, and Windows OS work fine.

WireGuard VPN would be good for end to end (router to router) connections, but the effort to connect a travel router (I do have the original GL.iNet AR750S Slate router) to the various open WiFi (hotels, trains, ships, excreta) was very time consuming (if I could even get it to work at all), compared to just opening the OpenVPN app on my various devices and connecting to my OpenVPN server.

That being said, I'm able to stream live TV channels and recorded TV shows from my in home over the air DVR's remotely.

1 Like