Gl-inet router says 'Wrong Key' on wifi repeater join

realy?

I think the Beryl beta3 fixed all wrong key problems.

Can you describe the problem a little bit so that we investigate more? e.g. what is the upstream wifi device, ssid and key length, special characters etc.

The upstream wifi SSDI is iPhone, key is srkifh6uetek0 13 characters and all lower case no special characters.

I did notice that on the web interface when I synch the date and time with the local computer the date and time zone updates but the time remains wrong.

I just tried,

Router: Beryl MT1300
Firmware: 3.212 beta3 GL.iNet download center
iPhone 13: hotspot with key srkifh6uetek0

Repeate can connect without problem.

What is your browser?

Having the same issue, pretty frustrating as I bought Beryl specifically as a Bridge.
FW 3.211 connecting to Fritz 7490
Time and date set correctly via cli

For Fritzbox can you go back to firmware 3.203?

Hi Alzhao,
I did as you suggested and the device successfully connected as a bridge. Thank you for this.
Will the issue with Frits be resolved in a future update?
Cheers,
T

I bought a FritzBox and it is on the way. I hope it can go through the customs.

Next issue. I connect my devices to bridged Beryl and they get 192.168.8.0/24 address and connect to internet. Upon reboot of Beryl, they cannot reach internet.

I change Beryl to use 192.168.1.0/24, same as Fritz. Mixed results. Devices on Beryl can ping Beryl but no internet. Devices on Fritz cannot ping devices on Beryl, or Beryl.

You cannot change Beryl ot use 192.168.1.0/24. It will conflict with your main router.

Can you let me know what do you mean “bridge”?

I think it is just a simple repeater with NAT, not a bridge.

A few years ago I’ve got some issues with the Fritz!Box (7490 back than) and a Garmin Smart Scale. Even if everything looks fine via wireshark, I needed to reset the scale every now and than. Sometimes every few weeks, sometimes days.
Since I’ve set up a new profile in ‘Internet - Filter’ (same in English?), it works well. I assume there is some magic in the default filters. In my case I replaced the whole filter with a PiHole Setup, so I don’t need to handle with the magic behind ‘Internetseiten gesperrt’ (Internet pages blocked) and ‘BPjM’ (some kind of official filter, provides somehow by the German governemnt).

But even with this workaround, I can’t get the Beryl WLAN working with 3.211. The Setup ‘Beryl [LAN] Fritz 7490 [WLAN 5GHz Mesh] Fritz 7590 [Internet]’ is working well.
Also after a downgrade to 3.203 everything is working well.

Sorry for the German, I really don’t know where to set the language within a Fritz!Box.

Maybe it is worth to mention, shat the German WLAN got the 2,5GHz band with channel 1-13. The default setting in the Beryl, after flashing the firmware, is 1-11. I needed to change the /etc/config/wireless. For Germany:

Firmware 3.203: Change option Country ‘CN’ to option Country ‘DE’ in two places. Change also option region ‘1’ (before ‘0’) and option aregion ‘1’ (before ‘10’?).

Firmware 3.211: In block with option Band ‘5g’ change to option region ‘1’ (before 10) and in block with option Band ‘2g’ be sure option region ‘1’ is set.

If you don’t change these configuration and your Fritz!Box decided the channel 12 or 13 is the best one, you can’t see it. The default configuration of the Fritz!Box is to self decide, based on the networks around. It is the same with the 5GHz Band, but I’m not familiar with the ranges, here.

If channel is differnet, e.g. Fritzbox is channel 12 or 13, then Beryl cannot see it at all.

If it see it but cannot connect, then it is another problem.

As you can use wireshark, I wonder if you can help to get some info.

I bought a Fritzbox but still on the way.

@alzhao Sure. Just tell me what you need. I haven’t seen anything useful right now in the dumps. I’m not home, but next week I could provide a capture of the WLAN interface from the Fritz!Box, during the connection.
Of course I’m traveling with my Beryl, not with my Fritz :wink:

I don’t know how much you know about the Fritz!Box. But since I’m working with them since 2002, a little hint:
Right after basic setup (just skip (click ‘überspringen’) everything), the internal DNS will link the hostname fritz.box to the internal IP (Default: 192.168.178.1). Just browse to http://fritz.box/html/capture.html (also works with the IP) search for the interface and click ‘Start’. In your ‘Downloads’ will be a file, that can be opened with Wireshark → profit.
grafik

Chrome v100

Trying openwrt-mt1300-3.215-0520-beta1 - it seems to connect on the first try with a shorter key (srkifh6u). The longer key (srkifh6uetek0) seems to error “wrong key” on the first attempt then connects on the second try.

Taking that back after upgrade on second Beryl it continues to complain wrong key. Time zome in web interface looks good but the Time is WRONG. Please add a method to fix the time from inside the browser.

This bug remains in the latest beta version. openwrt-mt1300-3.215-0520-beta1.bin. Date and Time is wrong and causes iPhone network wrong key error. :frowning: Sad that such a basic feature seems to be illusive for the Beryl.

v3.203 works fine but the unit freezes and requires rebooting weekly.

I still cannot verify this. It just connect to my iphone fine when date and time are wrong. I used a firmware that is just initialied so the date and time is not updated via ntp.

Can you give me more detailed steps, e.g. what kind of ssid or key will cause this? How to make the date and time different. For any info that you don’t want to disclose plublicly you can send me a message.

Ssid iPhone key is srkifh6uetek0

I know you tried it before. I have also tried it on a second beryl. I’ve had mixed results.

On the first beryl it never connects.

The first beryl I upgrade to 3.215 b1 and do not keep settings. It will not connect to iPhone. Wrong key.

Reset firmware to 3.203 it connects immediately on the first beryl.

On the second beryl it works after two or three tries on 3.215 but complains about wrong key then works suddenly. If running 3.203 connections are immediate.

1 Like

@alzhao What Firmware do you recommend to get a Fritz!Box Dump with a Beryl? I don’t think further information from 3.211 is needed?

@JerryZhao do you have any guide to dump with Fritzbox?

@LupusE I think it should be 3.215 beta1